Do you use a chest strap w/BP&W or not, and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a piece of bungee on my inflator hose, I then thread this through the chest strap to keep the inflator hose where I want it and not flapping around.

Happy to be educated on other ways of doing it but there just aren't enough BP/Wing divers out here to compare against and get new ideas.

Oh yes and the chest strap is not tight, so it does not restrict breathing.

Jonathan

I wear a chest strap (or sternum strap) and I also have a single release on my left shoulder strap. I know this is NOT DIR.

Why? I have a chronique separation of the right clavical. When the shoulder straps are tight enough to be secure, I literally separate my right shoulder, trying to get out of my pack. (ref Mel Gibson in leathal weapon).

The solution for this problem is a surgical procedure to pin the clavical. I've already been through a total knee replacement this year so I'd prefer not to have any more surgery until it's absolutley nessessary.

The sternum strap allows me to have the shoulder straps loose enough to slip into, and then snug them up with the sternum strap to keep the plate secure on my back. In close quarters on a dive boat the left shoulder release can be undone and I can slip out of my pack without undo maneuvering or discomfort.

MikeD
:blfish:

Jonathan once bubbled...
I have a piece of bungee on my inflator hose, I then thread this through the chest strap to keep the inflator hose where I want it and not flapping around.

Happy to be educated on other ways of doing it but there just aren't enough BP/Wing divers out here to compare against and get new ideas.

Oh yes and the chest strap is not tight, so it does not restrict breathing.

Jonathan

I would think that would make the inflator interfere with the left chest d-ring? I have a loop of small, very thin surgical tubing around my left shoulder strap to hold the inflator hose. The one that comes on the Halycon is too short and too stiff and will not allow me to vent my wings fully.

I agree with all the others, a chest strap just gets in the way, especially if you're diving dry.

Phil

forgot to mention the inflator hose comes under my arm....

Reading the IANTD Technical Diving Encyclopedia last night seems some do something similary but put it into bungee on the right D ring.

As a matter of interest what does DIR do with it?

Jonathan

Jonathan once bubbled...
forgot to mention the inflator hose comes under my arm....

Reading the IANTD Technical Diving Encyclopedia last night seems some do something similary but put it into bungee on the right D ring.

As a matter of interest what does DIR do with it?

Jonathan

I'm not sure what the question is.

Inflator-wing or drysuit?

I'm assuming it's your drysuit inflator that comes under your left arm. I also put it under my left chest strap to keep it tight to my body.

bungee on right D-ring? I use a bungee on my right chest strap to keep the head of my backup light from getting loose and dangling. Used to use bicycle tire tubing, but it made the light too hard to re-store.

There's a bungee on the left D-ring to hold your corregated hose inflator.

I have a chest strap

I have my bladder inflater hose runs under my arm, it is then attached to a ring on the chest strap.
I also have my spg attached to the inflator hose

I have a knife small attached to the chest strap

If your BP and Harness is set up properly, you should not need one.

detroit diver - wing inflator. Looks like I have a variation on Aquatec, but then I know we are both not DIR

I can't even picture that one. Where does the hose connect to? Does the corregated hose come over your left shoulder? When you dump air, does it pull the inflator hose up with it?

Gotta see a picture of this one...DIR or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom