Do you think this could be DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bazzathemammoth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

This is my dive info for a recent dive, done with a local dive instructor:

Dive computer: Mares Smart set to minimum conservatism. It didn't bring up any alarms.

I am not that fit and a bit overweight.

Water temp 14 deg C

1st dive on 32% nitrox
max depth 24.6M
avg 16.3M
39 min downtime
normal safety stop
I was a bit above my normal SAC on this dive, but im normally really good on gas.
1h55m surface interval
2nd dive on air
max depth 26.4M
avg 17.6M
37 min downtime
normal safety stop
I felt normal coming up from this dive initially and did all the usual post-dive stuff for 20 or so mins. Next, we started sailing home which involved "grinding" up our sails. During this, I felt a mild pain and moderate muscle weakness through my shoulder muscles, which I have never felt before. I was quite tired after the day, but that isn't unusual with 2 dives and 4 hours of sailing plus 3 hours of motoring.

This was a month ago and I still have sore shoulders and I have been really low energy most of the time. Do you think this could have been DCS? I have been for 2 dives since and it was fine, but this low energy and muscle soreness is unusual for me.

Hi @Bazzathemammoth

If I ever thought I had DCS, I would call DAN right away, not wait until much later and post my question on SB. Sounds like you did nothing to treat DCS, like oxygen administration. Mares RGBM is conservative, at any setting. As you know, your dives appear to be low risk and you had a long SI. It is not at all likely that symptoms would persist like this.

That being said, I would see a physician, to evaluate your month of shoulder pain and fatigue. There are known causes of subacute to chronic shoulder pain and fatigue. A quick search of those two terms will reveal some of them to you.

Best of luck

2nd dive on air
max depth 26.4M
avg 17.6M
37 min downtime
normal safety stop
Even for a first dive with no Residual N2, that's a pretty aggressive dive....not even possible on tables.
In fact, the first dive is off the tables too.
I'm thinking you might want to boost up the conservatism on your computer a bit.
And dive a bit more conservatively too.
Including a very slow ascent from the SS to the surface.

Even for a first dive with no Residual N2, that's a pretty aggressive dive....not even possible on tables.
In fact, the first dive is off the tables too.
I'm thinking you might want to boost up the conservatism on your computer a bit.
And dive a bit more conservatively too.
Including a very slow ascent from the SS to the surface.
The first dive on 32% had an avg depth of just 53 ft and a dive time of 39 min. After an almost 2 hr SI, the second dive on air was to an avg depth of 58 ft and a dive time of 37 min.

These do not appear to be very aggressive. Apparently, even running Mares RGBM, these dives were both below NDL. Perhaps @Bazzathemammoth can tell us how much NDL he had remaining.

The first dive on 32% had an avg depth of just 53 ft and a dive time of 39 min. After an almost 2 hr SI, the second dive on air was to an avg depth of 58 ft and a dive time of 37 min.

These do not appear to be very aggressive. Apparently, even running Mares RGBM, these dives were both below NDL. Perhaps @Bazzathemammoth can tell us how much NDL he had remaining.
I don't use average depth with tables. That is not how they are designed to be used. My comments were relative to tables.

I don't use average depth with tables. That is not how they are designed to be used. My comments were relative to tables.
Sure, but tables are not helpful in a multi-level dive. I have done 80 minute dives to a maximum depth of 100 feet and stayed well within NDLs.

To answer the original question, I cannot tell you anything for sure, but it would be very unusual for minor DCS symptoms to linger unabated for a month.

During this, I felt a mild pain and moderate muscle weakness through my shoulder muscles, which I have never felt before.
Reading this, I wonder what made you ignore this symptom?
This was a month ago and I still have sore shoulders and I have been really low energy most of the time. Do you think this could have been DCS? I have been for 2 dives since and it was fine, but this low energy and muscle soreness is unusual for me.
For the future:
  • DCS does not resolve itself.
  • Denial and hesitation don't fix DCS problems.
  • Call DAN in case of any doubt. You'll have a doctor on the phone within minutes. While you're waiting, breathe 100% oxygen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom