Do you think computers encourage risky diving in new/ young divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, is generally my answer too. I don't think computers encourage divers to do anything.

Many divers are afraid of deco and avoid it like the plague. Quite a few divers are limited by gas and don't come close to deco.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few that do not how their computer works. I go out on boats reasonably frequently. The most common reason computers quit working on a trip is not because the batteries have failed, it is because the diver has missed a deco stop and is in violation gauge mode. They are usually incredulous when I tell them what has happened and have no idea what I'm talking about.

There are a few divers who go into deco without proper planning or training. They usually get away with it...

Unfortunately, there are quite a few that do not how their computer works. I go out on boats reasonably frequently. The most common reason computers quit working on a trip is not because the batteries have failed, it is because the diver has missed a deco stop and is in violation gauge mode.

What makes this even scarier to me is there are now very popular computers and they are promoted on SB that do not lock you out and you can continue to dive with them. They assume the diver knows what they are doing. That said the computers I dive work this way so more the reason to understand the theory behind what your computer is telling you.

Something I've been curious about. If I exceed NDL my computer will tell me to stop at X depth for Y minutes. After that it will tell me next stop depth and time. I have not tried it but my understanding is that it will show one stop at a time. It will not tell me all stops ie, will not tell me the air needed in total.

Do you experienced divers think that the fact that the computer will "get you out of deco" in any way encourages newer/younger divers to exceed their training and experience?
Good morning.
Hmmmmm? As, an experienced diver, yourself. I'm wondering if this is a test? :coffee:
Firstly, I believe you should know
"On Paper." how much air you need for the type of dive you're doing, before you go in the water. I'm unsure exactly what you mean by "Get you out of Deco."
Although, a good point to be known is that some computers may "Lock you out."
Running a dive plan on your dive computer (Dependent on Make/Model etc.) Should give you all the "Stops." necessary, along with the cubic feet needed. There is also Dive Plan software available for Laptops/Desktops.
To answer your last question....Yes.
I do think (Dependent on the person's mindset.) that having a computer could (Potentially.) "Allow" a diver to go beyond his/her experience, and level of certification.
I can be extremely academic at times, and find the question "Somewhat vague."
You can't argue with arithmetic. I mean absolutely "No." offence to you. It's just how my mind works.
Cheers.

Good morning.
Hmmmmm? As, an experienced diver, yourself. I'm wondering if this is a test? :coffee:
Firstly, I believe you should know
"On Paper." how much air you need for the type of dive you're doing, before you go in the water. I'm unsure exactly what you mean by "Get you out of Deco."
Although, a good point to be known is that some computers may "Lock you out."
Running a dive plan on your dive computer (Dependent on Make/Model etc.) Should give you all the "Stops." necessary, along with the cubic feet needed. There is also Dive Plan software available for Laptops/Desktops.
To answer your last question....Yes.
I do think (Dependent on the person's mindset.) that having a computer could (Potentially.) "Allow" a diver to go beyond his/her experience, and level.
I can be extremely academic at times, and find the question "Somewhat vague."
You can't argue with arithmetic. I mean absolutely "No." offence to you. It's just how my mind works.
Cheers.

Now that I am an experienced diver your right I do know how to calculate my air and how long a tank will last. Thinking back 12 years ago when I didn't know what I know and reading incident reports etc makes me wonder.

Now that I am an experienced diver your right I do know how to calculate my air and how long a tank will last. Thinking back 12 years ago when I didn't know what I know and reading incident reports etc makes me wonder.
I agree. Wholeheartedly.

Something I've been curious about. If I exceed NDL my computer will tell me to stop at X depth for Y minutes. After that it will tell me next stop depth and time. I have not tried it but my understanding is that it will show one stop at a time. It will not tell me all stops ie, will not tell me the air needed in total.

Do you experienced divers think that the fact that the computer will "get you out of deco" in any way encourages newer/younger divers to exceed their training and experience?
Curious? Was this a conversation with someone, or reflecting back on yourself?

Conversations with new divers I've met recently. Made me think so I thought I would get opinions of other experienced divers.
Thought so....i'm sure you gave them sound advice.
Have a good day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom