Question Do you take your BP/W on flights? And how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My SS BPW is packed right now with neoprene, fins, cutters, tools and backups. BPW is fully assembled, I even have the DSMB, backup mask and Nautilus Lifeline clipped on and in place. Very much in the vein of the previous STA issue :wink:

All in a standard size Samsonite hard-shell suitcase weighing in at 49lbs, headed to Jamaica for a romantic vacation with a side of diving.

How about this?:

-Z

Slide the backplate into your carry-on backpack. Saves weight for your checked bagage, and if your carry-on is too heavy, wear the backplate while going through the checks.
Does this get you noticed at the body X-ray station?

Does this get you noticed at the body X-ray station?
😂
No of course I place the backplate in a tray together with my backpack. My bodyscan is metal free, except for the buttons on my clothes.

I just put the bp/w into my suitcase. I save weight by putting everything heavy into my carry on bag. Lights, camera, regs, etc. That thing gets pretty heavy to lug through the airport....

I ended up in a cave class a few years back with a hole in the bladder of my Evolve, no evidence of damage to the shell. I have to assume it got pinched against the STA or something in flight. I've been careful since since then to pack the wing well away from the plate or STA.
The concern a lot of people have with it being assembled is the possibility that the hard edge of the backplate could cause what is called a pinch flat on the wing, causing a leak.

Was this due to a soft luggage bag and weight of other passenger bags on top in the cargo hold or a somewhat depressurised cargo hold? I plan to carry my new BP/W in a hard shell no-zip suitcase and I don’t see how how this can happen as long as you don’t stack heavy items on top of the bladder inside your own suitcase TBH..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom