• No

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Only with Junior (underaged) divers

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Only with total OW newbies

Votes: 18 11.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tonio Anastasi:
Yes always, With whoever my buddy may be. Seen too many closed cylinders, lose cylinder straps, lose cylinder retainer straps, disconnected inflator hoses traped octopus, forgotten weightbelts.

what he said ^^

We do a full gear matching, pocket inventory and in-water bubble check. We even like it in the same order. :D

I'm part of the minority that voted "NO".

While still on shore or on the boat, I'll casually look at gear config for anything unusual. On entry I stay very close, make sure that everything is OK, and do a bubble check. I might ask about starting psi, but I don't check their valves directly.

The most unusual response from an insta-buddy when queried about a gear item -- in this case a small pouch on the chest D-ring: "It's a tube of glucose. I'm diabetic."

Charlie Allen

Yes but it depends on the dive as to the level of care I give.

Before every deep/overhead dive, we do a full S drill. Prior to most run of the mill rec dives, we do rough checks personally. IE, breath off both regs, make sure the dry suits hooked etc. Far less rigorous but still adequate to mitigate the risks.

I haven't done a BWRAF check since the last time I DM'd.

I answered yes and no- I guess I meant sometimes, although it seems like lately, it's been not at all. My goal is do the pre-dive check as seamlessy as Lynne does. There are only a few key points to go over, so it doesn't have to be overly complicated.

I hardly remember what a buddy check is. I don't usually dive with new divers, and when I do I watch while they set up and get ready to jump in so I know everything they have done or haven't done. normally I will just ask my buddy for a psi, and vice versa

I am mostly OW. I do pre dive and air. I don't check dive buddy's gear out because it's more second nature already. case in point...
Recent conversation at quarry.
putting bc on tank and then reg setup on tank. plug in inflator. turn on air check gauges. "damn I actually got a tank with a full fill." -yeah me too- finish putting on gear. "damn its warm in this thing already" "alright got everything together?" -nope- take reg and put into mouth and breath and note time and fiddle with bezel on watch. then buddy's ready. both grab regs and get cooled off in water and just float. adjust straps tighter. then say let's dive. sink and go on.
diving from entry barge or dock.
adjust to make sure tank is tight and bc is tighter. jump in float then get out of way for cannon ball. signal lets dive then sink.
diving from boat.
adjust to getting water on gear so that tank slides in straps and pick up and shake with tank to make sure tight. -buddy does same- strap in tight and drop in ... grab ahold of drift line and wait on buddy.

Well if i'm diving with my regular buddy, a basic check of the BWRAF. If i'm with a new buddy or student it's very complete.

TSandM:
(I actually got made fun of for doing this on our Indonesia trip, by an instructor who was on the boat -- go figure.)
Was this the same instructor who said that sharing air is for emergencies only and shouldn't even be practiced?

I'm so damn new that I really appreciate a full buddy check. There's lots going on and a second set of eyes can keep a mishap from occuring. Like someone already said, I try to suit up near my buddy and verbalize as I gear up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom