• No

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Only with Junior (underaged) divers

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Only with total OW newbies

Votes: 18 11.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every dive.. Even a subsequent dive on the same day. Just this past weekend we had a female that her buddy failed to check everything on her. She got in the water, remembered something, jumped out real quick to grab it and before she made it back in the water, her tank was hanging on the little adjustment strap on her BC by the valve. Her tank bands weren't tightened up enough and it slipped out. She was bent over a bench as I fixed her tank while she wore her gear. No grave danger, but very inconvenient and embarrassing for her.

It really depends on who I'm diving with. If it's my instructor and we are diving dry then yes because it usually takes two of us to get his suit on for the first time. Finding the right sleeve with a bad shoulder can be a pain. If with students then yes everything gets checked regardless of their cert level. I've had aow students try to put a reg,and or tank on backwards. One even did and had the bc on while I was assisting another guy. How he did this I don't know but in talking I found out his last dive was 2 yrs before and even though certified for 12 years only had 50 dives total. If with my DIR buddy then a complete check and bubble check. The only person who does not seem to have a problem with an s drill at the beginning and somewhere else during the dive is him. I have yet to see any of the people I normally dive with do one outside of ow class dives. My solo checks are very thorough.

As a diving 'role model' freshly pressed from the PADI mould :) I do a full BWRAF buddy check *every* dive :crafty: and 5pt decent and 5pt ascent...as at the moment I'm insta-buddying every dive and sometimes its an OW diver, sometimes a DM. (I keep telling the wife it isn't cold alas...) So I find its just best too...

Yup...

Reasons:

1: My primary 'dive buddy' is my wife of over 35 years... I've gotten fond of her during that time and, for some reason, she seems to have reciprocated that experience... so, yea... *every time*... I'm not sure I could live with myself if she had an accident while diving because of something that I might have caught by doing a simple thing like a buddy check...

1(A): ... as the ol' song goes... "Everybody is somebody's baby..." So I figure that if I find value in buddy-checking my *better three/quarters*... somebody else might be appreciative that I buddy-checked theirs

2: ... now there's another reason. Becuse if I buddy check my dive buddy... they generally reciprocate... and might catch something I forgot because my mind wuz' more focused on thinking up a reply to some Scubaboard question than it was suiting up for the dive.

3: ... besides... Murphy seems to enjoy exploiting the simple flaws... the ones most easily caught and corrected... so... I do it to spite Murphy...

4: ... if pre-fighting is valuable for pilots who undertake their avocation in a potentially hazardous envioronment and rely on their equipment to keep em' functional... it seems reasonable that divers should 'pre-flight' before they entire *their* hazardous environment and rely on their equipment to keep em' functional...

5: ... because ya' don't generally get 'do-overs' at depth... ususally... There's an old saying that goes "One 'aw-s**t' will wipe out a ton of 'atta-boys'..." it can also be said that "One 'oops' can nullify a whole bunch of zen enhanced diving moments...'

6: ... give me a minute... I'm thinkin' of more...

7: ... because my dive instructor told me to... and I don't want to dis my dive instructor...

8: ... I like to set a *good example* for the kids...

9: ... gives ya' *life points*...

10: Because I read "Accidents and Incidents" here on SB and see how many things occur because of simple errors...

J.R., you just reminded me about my father. He was an airline pilot for over thirty years, and he flew small aircraft for fun when he wasn't working. In all the time I knew him, I never saw him take off without going through the checklists -- ALL of the checklists. He didn't do them by memory, and he never blew them off. I guess I inherited some of that.

SparticleBrane:
Was this the same instructor who said that sharing air is for emergencies only and shouldn't even be practiced?

I got grumbled at by a DM for ending a deep drift dive with a little less than 1000PSI.

Told him I saved it because it belonged to my buddy in case was OOA, but he still thought I was a dork.

Go figure.

Terry

I probably would have told him to go @%#$#^@^ himself.

SparticleBrane:
I probably would have told him to go @%#$#^@^ himself.

It used to bother me, but when I know I'm right I don't really care what a stranger thinks. I just put a little "dork" notation next to his picture in my head and let it go at that.

Like the DM in Coz who tried to convince me to duct tape my torn inflator hose and do the second dive.

You just can't make up stuff this good. :cool:

Terry

Both yes and no, but I chose no as I don't more times than I do. It depends upon who I'm diving with. I should be better and more consistent about doing it though.

Back
Top Bottom