Do you smoke

Do you smoke? I am talking about any kind of smoke

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You get high before you dive? Really?

CJ Waid:
Smoke what? Weed, Yes. Cigarettes, No. Predive Doobie, usually, but that is about it. So, throw my vote where ever it falls, I don't know how specific you want. My instructor smokes cigars, a dive master at the shop smokes marlboro lights, and my dive buddy just started smoking once in a while, I think he smokes camels, he also smokes gunj with me.

i was gonna check my tank pressure
but then i got high
i thought i had turned my valve on
but i was high
now i'm trying to breathe water and i know why, oh why
because i got high, because i got high, because i got high

:rofl3:

I am amazed at the number of my HS students that smoke. First I am surprised they waste their money on that. Second, I can't believe that all of the anti-smoking campaigns, education, etc that has been going on the past 2 decades hasn't worked.

I get that some of them thinks it makes them look cool, standing on a toilet seat in a school bathroom.... how cool is that????

sadly, defying authority and stating your claim against "the man" are cool at that age.

because smoking manages to do both, it's "cool."

they probably just shrug off the risks, thinking, as we all did when we were young and immortal, that the warnings don't apply to them, ior that they dare death get them, cause they're so tough

that had a lot to do with why i stated smoking: it meant, i'm so bad, i'm not afraid of death. don't you f*.*.* with me.

i don't think i ever THOUGHT that consciously, but looking back, i think that was part of my motive

True, but childhood obesity is a more prevalent, and deadlier problem...

scubapolly:
I am amazed at the number of my HS students that smoke. First I am surprised they waste their money on that. Second, I can't believe that all of the anti-smoking campaigns, education, etc that has been going on the past 2 decades hasn't worked.

I get that some of them thinks it makes them look cool, standing on a toilet seat in a school bathroom.... how cool is that????

LOL... I don't smoke left handed Marlboro's, but I do enjoy a cold beer. But NEVER before a dive. That's just dumb....

H2Andy:
i was gonna check my tank pressure
but then i got high
i thought i had turned my valve on
but i was high
now i'm trying to breathe water and i know why, oh why
because i got high, because i got high, because i got high

:rofl3:

This has been said probably 100 times in this post but I just have to say it again.....

Smoking = BAD. not only for your overall health but just for your diving...smokers increase their carbon MONoxide in their blood..this reduces the amount of Oxygen you can carry to your tissues. You actually reduce your sac rate! Besides, of the damage it causes your lungs...decreases the elasticity of the lung tissue (it just has got to increase your likelihood of barotrauma).

To me in my life, it is just not worth it!

Yes. I never was a serious smoker (just occasuionally at parties) until I got into the last year of my dissertation (even now a pack will last me over 2 days). With my nerves the way they've been lately there's no way I could add quiting right now. But as soon as I defend my dissertation (w/in the next month) I will be quitting. Well, reaslitically following the week long drinking binge I'll be on after defending is when I'll clean up & quit.

I agree with the statements earlier that telling a smoker how bad it is does absolutly nothing to deter the craving and I'm pretty sure that every smoker out here is well aware of the risks involved. It's an addiction and has to be dealt with accordingly. Logic & reason don't work.

Not to be contrary but Logic & Reason are what got me to quit. I mean, it took me six months to talk myself into it and actually pick a date but by that date I was ready to quit and at quarter to midnight I smoked my last one and tossed the last 6 left in the pack. Best birthday present I ever gave myself.

As for diving stoned? Please. Does it make the dive that much better or does it just make you prone to forgetting something? Maybe something you shouldn't forget?

I have been smoking for over 40 years, not exactly proud of it but I do enjoy lighting one up from time to time - I will smoke maybe a half pack a day. There are definitely more risks involved for a diver who smokes but I don't think the Sac Rate is affected that badly.

I could be wrong, but in my case my Sac Rate is normally around .20 for most of my dives. When I am diving deep, 85 FT+ or diving off Catalina I tend to be around a .25 but I think that is more because of the circumstances of the water being a little cooler than what I normally dive now.

Just my .02 worth.

Back
Top Bottom