Question Do you prefer someone help you set up your gear, or do you prefer setting up by yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to do it myself.

On resort boats, it sometimes miffs the DM and deck hands. I'm not trying to avoid a tip, but for the same reason I like doing my own tank 'spections and reg rebuilds I find it an enjoyable part of the experience. I just like the hands on mechanics of it all.

Most of my diving is local, with buddies. But on vacation, if someone sets up my gear, I will just check their work, so it doesnt really matter. I guess it works to encourage a tip.

I dive to have a good time. If the guys are used to setting up guests' stuff, that's fine with me. If they want me to set the equipment up, that's great. If they set things up and I want to do some adjustments, I do adjustments. Life's too short to worry about this stuff.

I dive to have a good time. If the guys are used to setting up guests' stuff, that's fine with me. If they want me to set the equipment up, that's great. If they set things up and I want to do some adjustments, I do adjustments. Life's too short to worry about this stuff.

I like the sweat the small stuff. It's how I'm wired. Especially when the small stuff is keeping my alive underwater. YMMV. Everyone is different.

At dive resorts and on liveaboards it seems there is almost no polite way to avoid letting the staff do what they perceive as part of their job. Often, it involves them taking my gear from the dock or gear room onto the boat, and that part of it is kind of nice. I used to demand they let me set up my own gear, but I guess I have lightened up in my old age. If they're setting up everyone else's gear, they can set up mine. Usually I need to adjust it. Occasionally, there is something way off, like a reg is upside down. I'm okay with that, I suppose. I check it all thoroughly and re-do what may need to be re-done, even if it would have been less work had I done it myself from the beginning. Again, if it's the kind of place where the staff perceive it as part of their job, and all the other divers are going along with it, I just follow along.

I always set up my own gear, and will politely decline the offer from others to help. As it's life support equipment, I like to know it's set up exactly how I want it and to know that I've checked everything. I don't want to have to take the time to fix what someone else did.

Never, and I mean NEVER touch my gear! I don't even let my staff tear apart my gear and clean it. They can do that for the customers but not mine.

I worked at a dive center where the owner would have the staff get his gear, setup his twinset, etc and then leave his **** for the staff to clean and put away. Then he would complain about how it was put away.

I learned then that if I was ever in that position, I would never do that to my staff. Not to mention, I alone am responsible for my gear.

Without question, I prefer to set up my own gear. At this point, I only dive private boats, so it’s expected.

If I were to dive a charter where the crew setting it up was the norm, I’d request that I set it up myself. If they insist, I wouldn’t put up a fuss, but would check it out myself. I would also be the last one that touches my valve. Maybe it’s their policy, but it’s my life.

I'm the only one setting up my gear. To do otherwise invites problems one of them being complacency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom