Do you plan your rec (not tech) dives?

Do you plan your rec dives? And if so, what tool(s) do you use for planning?

• No, I just follow my computer until it's time to surface

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Yes. I plan my maximum depth and maximum time

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Yes. I plan max dept and time, and my (approximate) depth profile

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • Yes. Other than the above (please specify)

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • You forgot an option (please specify)

Votes: 8 9.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We usually dive sites we are familiar with. However, we will asked the local dive op (for shore dives) if there's anything we should know about and any previous diver reports on conditions/current, etc. Then we'll come up with a broad outline, such as, swim to buoy, drop to xx feet, swim into the current until first person gets to xxxx psi, then turn toward shore to get on top of reef and follow current back to start/exit point.

It's very loose and offers plenty of flexibility to stop and see critters along the way. Continuing a gradual assent on the return aids with deco (even though we are not exceeding NDL), then we always do a 15' safety stop as we relax, look for critters and enjoy the motion of the ocean. :D

If we're on a wall or sea mount we'll set a max depth, otherwise the bottom is the max depth. We'll set a direction and turn around gas psi, but that's about it.

I think this thread shows all dives are planned; the questions are how much they're planned, and how much they should be for particular types of dive.

Richard.
Maybe we need to further distinguish between tec, rec and vacation divers?

This poll appears to be based upon an idea from TSandM that NWGratefulDiver emphasized as "Reactive" diving.

their observations and characterizations match the majority of divers that I get to see. Very few plan, most react. Way too many trust me divers.

I claim that the standard "rec" diver on this forum is way ahead of the standard "vacation" diver in terms of planning and dive execution. So any conclusions from this poll and attached comments are generally ignoring the vacation diver segment.

Maybe we need to further distinguish between tec, rec and vacation divers?

This poll appears to be based upon an idea from TSandM that NWGratefulDiver emphasized as "Reactive" diving.

their observations and characterizations match the majority of divers that I get to see. Very few plan, most react. Way too many trust me divers.

I claim that the standard "rec" diver on this forum is way ahead of the standard "vacation" diver in terms of planning and dive execution. So any conclusions from this poll and attached comments are generally ignoring the vacation diver segment.

I disagree. I am a recreational diver that only gets to dive on vacation. Therefore, I am a vacation diver. The distinguishing factor you speak of is competent vs incompetent recreational diver.

Technical diving definitely requires more detailed planning. Especially if your doing a deco dive in a cave or a deep dive on Trimix on the oriskany. Recreational dives are planned, the details of rec dives usually depend on what and where your diving. Like if your doing shallow water shore dive that may have some current or a deep dive on nitrox in the gulf. All good points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. I am a recreational diver that only gets to dive on vacation. Therefore, I am a vacation diver. The distinguishing factor you speak of is competent vs incompetent recreational diver.
I agree with you and am in the same situation. But I believe the common term on this board for incompetent recreational diver is vacation diver....

Like most polls the scope is narrow and the topic is broad. The poll options only address a slice of the likely scenarios.

In my case most of the dives are shore dives in areas where you would need an awful lot of air and insulation for time and depth to ever matter. Sure we plan direction, who's "driving" and if we're not already on the same page get it clear that it's probably a reciprocal dive meaning you want to have us turning with 50% or more of your useful air remaining. Most of our dives are not moon shots.

Pete

I agree with you and am in the same situation. But I believe the common term on this board for incompetent recreational diver is vacation diver....
I consider myself a tech diver, but some of those types of dives only get done on vacation. That doesn't mean I'm any more incompetent at them then you might be at recreational depths. I'd suggest that those automatically considering vacation divers as "incompetent" are just internet posers...

I don't call a bad local diver a vacation diver, they are a bad local diver. A vacation diver is someone who generally dives only on vacation, not locally. They may be good or bad. To imply you can't be good diver if you only dive on vacations is very narrow minded. I have come across a number of very good vacation divers. Some people just don't live where it is easy to dive locally,.

I mostly dive on vacation, even if that is a weeked trip to the ocean (4 hour drive). There is also a nearby freshwater lake, but I just don't get there much except for a skills tuneup.

I plan every dive with repect to depth and NDL. I plan usually with tables. I then run some quick gas calcs to see if my limit will be NDL or the gas on my back. Based upon the answer, I then determine when I need to start my ascent, and even when to turn, if that is how the dive will be done (vs a drift dive). With all the planning done, I then execute the dive by the computer and SPG. This may mean the plan gets changed on the fly - if gas comsumption is not as fast as assumed, I will hang out down below longer. The computer is keeping up with NDL. If it craps out, I carry a backup computer (which is not nitrox capable - so if I am on Nitrox it is just a timer).

Back
Top Bottom