Do you need to keep old vis stickers on a tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like the big NITROX Tank Wraps some shops require?

owwww.....forgot that one. :blinking:
You can see I don't dive nitrox all to often.

Of course spray painting EANX w/ stencils seems like a better choice IMO.

owwww.....forgot that one. :blinking:
You can see I don't dive nitrox all to often.

Of course spray painting EANX w/ stencils seems like a better choice IMO.

Argh. I despise those stickers. I had a shop argue with me and refuse to fill unless I let them put one on my tank. I left and go my gas elsewhere.

Argh. I despise those stickers. I had a shop argue with me and refuse to fill unless I let them put one on my tank. I left and go my gas elsewhere.

Not just NITROX, some shops require them for mix and O2. The shop I go to just says that they need to have the wrap when they leave the shop because of their insurance, so we wink at each other as I put a wrap on my tanks and hold it with a rubber band. As the tank goes into my car or truck, I take the wrap off, walk back into the shop with it, and put it on the next tank to "leave the shop."

All my tanks do have current VIS Stickers showing that they are O2 clean

I would not have a problem with a shop letting me rubber band them on. However, this poopie head wanted to charge me to dump the rest of the 32% I had in my doubles, my 1 AL80 stage, and my O2 from my AL40, VIP them all, then sticker them all BEFORE he would fill. He could get bent (no pun intended). My O2 bottle has "OXYGEN 20" on two sides, my stage had "120" in 4" numbers on it, and my doubles had current vis and O2 clean sticker from the shop that did it. He said by law all tanks MUST have the green and yellow nitrox wrap around them. He was not happy when I loaded up my tanks and left.

Interesting. All my tanks have the original vis sticker on them that is all frayed at the edges. All three tanks have since been through hydro and 2 vis inspections at the same shop--different than the original vis shop. 2 have been "upgraded" to nitrox recently. I also have scubaboard stickers on all 3 tanks which just went through the latest vis without being removed. I wonder if I should worry...

I would scrape them off. You should only have the current vis sticker on the tank.

A couple years ago I had some tanks with several years stickers on them. When I brought them to a different shop for a fill the attendant had trouble locating the current vis sticker and made a couple comments. He was right so I scraped em off. besides who knows what's going on under those stickers.

Interesting. All my tanks have the original vis sticker on them that is all frayed at the edges. All three tanks have since been through hydro and 2 vis inspections at the same shop--different than the original vis shop. 2 have been "upgraded" to nitrox recently. I also have scubaboard stickers on all 3 tanks which just went through the latest vis without being removed. I wonder if I should worry...

my tanks go in with old stickers and come out with only the one new viz sticker.

OP the answer is no you do need need to leave the old stickers on, but in the states you need the current sticker if the hydro is over one year old..

Cheers.
Roger

I realize this post is back a few months but....

Even though a VIP is performed as part of the hydro test I have never seen cylinders go into service without a sticker. I would not expect to have much luck getting fills of naked cylinders regardless of the hydro stamp. I think many would argue that the visual required in a DOT hydro and the dive industry managed visuals are 2 different inspection (and revenue streams).

Pete

He said by law all tanks MUST have the green and yellow nitrox wrap around them. He was not happy when I loaded up my tanks and left.

There is a shop around here spouting the same BS. I wonder where they get that stuff from?

I peel the old stickers off to reduce confusion. However, any corrosion under a sticker is pretty stinking obvious. The "You can't have stickers!" crowd always makes me crack up. They are just as bad as "You have to have NitrOx Stickers!" crowd in my book. :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom