Do you need help putting on your suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

616fun:
Should have seen the look on my wife's face when she came down the stairs and I was sitting on the couch with my new mask on.

Had to be sure it made a nice seal. Doesn't everyone watch the news with their masks on?
Same thing happened to me, but I had on my fins. Never saw my wife laugh so hard.

Be carefull, the part about needing help with the back zip is a yellow flag, if not a red one. Accepting help is OK since I know my Bare suits tend to snag on the sealing flap sometimes. Make sure that you chest is not constricted. If the suit is helping you exhale that means your working too hard to inhale. It may not be an issue at depth when the suit thins down and loosens up but it could be stressful on the way to the water for a shore dive and dangerous on your way back. On a boat diove where you can usually avoid out of the water exertion this may be less of an issue. Also a tight 3mm and a tight 7mm are 2 different animals.

I have a new 7mm suit that fits lie a glove, with slight compression all around (Bare Arctic) It felt just right when I tried it on at home and went skin diving a few times but after a few rinse dry cycles it seems to ahve slightly shrunk and I can feel the pressure on my chest. A bigger suit will mess up the fit elsewhare so I'm going to get a little alteration done in the chest area to bring it into line.

I have my best luck rolling most of the suit on. Start by stepping in and pulling it up to your knees. Make sure the knees are aligned and up where they belong, if not a tad higher. I repeat get the knees right. Now the suit should roll right up to your crotch, a wiggle and tig should seat it there. Next, up over your caboose. Slip one arm into a sleeve and make sure to get the wrist where it belongs and tug the sleeve back down for a fit at the shoulder, repeat at the other arm. Make sure you got the shoulders in place before going for the back zip. Hold the zipper base tab, lean back and pull the lanyard up, pay attention to the sealing flap. If it hitches, pull it down an inch, fiddle with the flap and try again. Lay the zipper down, set the neck seal with the velcro tab and you're in. Nothing wrong with having a buddy zip you up, it's easier on you and the suit. I will use some suit snot from time to time but it's mainly to help get past the seals in the limbs, that rubber grabs like a banchee.

Make sure you have good range of motion with your arms, straight up, crosed up front with hands on opposite shoulders, clasp hands behind your back, can you bend over? Breathing OK?

I know I'm speakling against many who are more expereinced than me but if you can't get into your suit alone be careful.

Pete

dlndavid:
I just got a 7 mil Akona one piece wet suit and had a struggle to put it on. My wife had to zip me up, as I couldn't. After it was on, it felt quite comfortable.
Is this normal?

Hey Pete (Spectrum),
Good advice, especially the part about the knees and getting the first wrist where it should be, this important I believe to getting the suit up high enough to roll into.
Thanks, and thanks to all for the good comments.
David

I can get into my 7mm jumpsuit and 7mm hooded vest (Both front zipper) by myself.
I need help though to get out of it. Someone has to pull it over the shoulders.

aquaoren:
I can get into my 7mm jumpsuit and 7mm hooded vest (Both front zipper) by myself.
I need help though to get out of it. Someone has to pull it over the shoulders.

Same here and I only wear a 3mil... the day it arrived I put it on to see if it fit, then realized my mistake... I could not get it off and I live alone ... ended up having to walk to my neighbors house and have them help ... slightly embarassing :wink: Good thing they know me well - lol

Tim

7mm farmer john is, shall we say, challenging to put on. Once on, you feel a bit like either the Michelin Man or the Stay-Puft-Marshmallow Fellow.

For a 7mm, I definitely need assistance.

A 5mm is much easier to deal with, but it'd be a bit chilly in California waters...

dlndavid:
I just got a 7 mil Akona one piece wet suit and had a struggle to put it on. My wife had to zip me up, as I couldn't. After it was on, it felt quite comfortable.
Is this normal?
Normal??
From your photo you look like you're ready for a ride to the looney palace :wink:

Seriously though, I had the same problem with rental wetsuits (be them 2mm shortys). I can never zip them over my shoulder blades, no matter how I twisted and bent. I never had a problem getting some guy/gal to zip me up though. The wetsuit was never too tight for breathing. My guess from your photo that might be the problem.

Now I have my custom made shorty, zipping up is no problem :)

dlndavid:
Is this normal?

Short answer: Yes.

If you tie a string to the zipper you can reach down, grab the string then pull the zipper up with hands above head. For unzipping the string will be hanging with it's end about wait level. It do this sometimes if another diver is not nearby in the parking lot. But mostly a dive buddy is nearby so I ask for help

Why are so many wetsuits made with rear zippers" Why are so few with front zippers

ChrisA:
Short answer: Yes.

If you tie a string to the zipper you can reach down, grab the string then pull the zipper up with hands above head. For unzipping the string will be hanging with it's end about wait level. It do this sometimes if another diver is not nearby in the parking lot. But mostly a dive buddy is nearby so I ask for help

Why are so many wetsuits made with rear zippers" Why are so few with front zippers
Because more men have hairy chests than hairy backs?

I use non sented baby powder, or cornstarch to get the suit on.. rub it on your bare legs and arms.. you should have no problems....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom