Do you Need a Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup. I liked Farallon products, except for those fins that attached to the calf.

I actually owned Farallon's answer to Scubapro's "bend-o-matic". I still have my Scubapro Galdius and my old Healtways skinny tube so I am golden (circa 1973)

If you want the clamp on fins, it can be arranged, Ralph gave me a pair to test, I think they're in a box down by the greenhouse.

Do you need a snorkel while recreational diving, I've heard in some places it's illegal to dive without one but it's always in the way.

To me it's like a spare tire in my car. I drive around for years without needing it and wonder why do I take the extra weight and carry it around all the time when I don't need it? ...Then I do and I'm glad I have it. :)

If you want the clamp on fins, it can be arranged, Ralph gave me a pair to test, I think they're in a box down by the greenhouse.

So you DO know what I'm talking about? People think I'm crazy when I mention them.

What size are they? I actally tried a pair and did not care for them.

Now spare tires I might waffle about, but there's no Auto Club to call when I need a snorkel.

So you DO know what I'm talking about? People think I'm crazy when I mention them.

What size are they? I actally tried a pair and did not care for them.
As I recall there were two issues: The first was the that the "stop" on the ankle hinge was not adjustable, with all the fin swimming I did my ankle bent further than the hinge so I was prevented by it from getting the right angle in the water. I suggested to Ralph that they put a cam in with a click-stop dial to permit adjustment of the angle. The second was that the blades were way too big, way too heavy and way too stiff, even for someone who was in the almost perfect fin swimming physical condition I was in back then. After less that a half mile I was cramping badly. I'll try to dig them out and post some photos.

Yes. The theory I think was that the splints/braces/clamps were transfer the load of the long boards up your legs?

I'm curious, but why do people need snorkels when they're at the surface and out of air? Can't you breath through your mouth? Isn't your head above water? Can't you just get on your back and easily cruise back to the boat? Even if you have to swim face down (kelp forest), it ain't that hard pop your face out of the water for a breath every other stroke or two.

Yes, it is that hard to, "pop your face out of the water for a breath every other stroke or two." At least in full gear, try it for a half mile or so some time. It takes much less energy with a snorkel. It is also much easier in a choppy sea.

Last edited:
Meh, I have only dove a few times outside of class, but I've found that it is a bit easier to just inflate your bc and swim while on your back out to a place. Heck you can have a convo with your dive buddy or random passer-bys. :D 90% of my experience lies in scuba parks btw.

The snorkel I have will be attached when I start diving in the sea though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom