Do you Need a Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you need a snorkel while recreational diving,

No

I've heard in some places it's illegal to dive without one but it's always in the way.

It's not a criminal offfence anywhere. Some backward parts of the world (i can think of exactly 1 place world wide) you must have one. Easiest solution is just avoid those beaches.

Many of us get the snorkel off our masks, and some give it up altogether.

They are useful in places where you can surface swim and SEE something.

People say they are useful when you have to be on the surface in rough conditions, but me -- I'd rather take a bigger tank and stay on my regulator.

After 100+ dives, I chose to switch from mask-attached dry snorkel to a foldable, non-dry, one squeezed in my BC pocket.

On a long surface swim I used the foldable snorkel, and promptly got an unexpected mouth full of water when a surging wave covered it. cough cough this is not fun.

My mistake was not PRACTICING with the foldable snorkel, before using it on an ocean dive. Dry breathing snorkels will tend to spoil you.

Pretty basic, but my lesson was to eat a slice of humble pie and consistently master new equipment, even as basic as a foldable snorkel.

Some people love, some people hate em. Shore divers find them handy, cave and wreck diver find them a hazard. Rec ocean divers are divided in their need for them. I've heard there are Calif beaches that require them.

Short and long is do you "need" it -NO...Is it considered by all the agencies that teach and certify divers as a "safety" item to be used by divers--YES.

ps. Am I like a large number of divers who have abandoned carrying one on a regular basis-YES.

I'd consider it a safety item myself. You'll be wishing you had one if you ever have to make an emergency ascent due to equipment failure or an out of air problem and can't use your reg on the surface and find yourself a good distance from the boat, or if you just happen go off course and surface a long distance from the boat, or if the boat just forgets about you and leaves you abandoned out there. Not sure I would want to rely on my regulator and tanks as my only source of easily breathable air on the surface.

My $.02.

My snorkel broke while I was putting it on my mask before my 21st dive (boat). I dived that dive and two more that day without it, and without missing it. I bought a folding snorkel that I put in my BC pocket but have not used it on my ten subsequent dives, all boat dives.

I anticipate needing it on shore dives occasionally, but if it were rough enough to "need" a snorkel diving from a boat, it might be time to reconsider the dive, IMO.

I think of it in the same terms as my safety sausage, a small expense and a little bit of a nuisance, but it's there if I need it. But I will not be having it hanging from my mask 100% of the time, no.

I have a snorkel in my gear cache just incase but I don't usually wear one. I don't find it gets in the way - it's just one less thing hanging off of me waiting to get snagged while crawling through tight spots.
Back in the day I used to teach the students to attach a cylum stick to their snorkel during a night dive. It tends to be more visible from the boat and provides enough light in the right place if your torch goes out.
As a breathing device well , I'm not much into long surface swims anymore( too much ballast out front -lol) so for me snorkels tend to be an afterthought.

I'd consider it a safety item myself. You'll be wishing you had one if you ever have to make an emergency ascent due to equipment failure or an out of air problem and can't use your reg on the surface and find yourself a good distance from the boat,

No you won't. Just weight yourself correctly.

Another vote for the foldable snorkel. I wore a fancy one (non foldable) that cost $80. bucks and found it a bit of a pain (literally at times) but When diving off the Spoilsport with the 10 foot drop (a true giant stride) mine snappped off. For a time I dove without one but when waiting to reboard the boat I find the most comfortable and interesting way to wait is face down with my snorkel. Hence the pocket version. Practice with it a bit (so you hold it facing up (TIC) and you are set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom