Do you log your dives on paper?

Do you log you dives on paper?

• Yes, I log my dives on paper.

Votes: 139 78.5%
  • No, I download my dives to my computer.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • Sometimes I log my dives on a paper log.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do both. Electronically I have 2 computers, one at home and the other at work.

catherine96821:
My Stinger has the last five years.
I've got almost 30 years paper log.

catherine96821:
I think it is ideal to do it, but tax records and baby books get on the radar first.....so many other records are more important and where you put your time and effort hopefully reflects your life priorities.
My log is part of my tax records. It is supporting documentation for my scuba teaching business deductions.
catherine96821:
Honestly, I cannot see the day where documenting my dives in something as time consuming as a hand written log will ever happen.
As a "computer professional", I recommend that you, at least, dump your computer log information to paper for archive purposes. Computer data formats change and you may find, someday, that you no longer have access to your data because the data format isn't recognized anymore by newer computers, or the download program supplied by the DC manufacturer no longer runs on the current OS. (How many dive computer manufacturers have announced their MS Vista version of their download drivers/programs?)

I'm a computer professional, and I never trust those darn m'puter thingies. I log mine to paper after I get on the shore and transpose the computer info then too. That way the dive is fresh in my mind and I can note the pertainent info. Then when I get home I transfer that info to a Word document, and then I back up that document (as I back up any peice of computer data, with multiple backups and at least one backup off site) This way I have a soft copy that I can send to people or print out before my next dive. The info like water temp, suit, weight, sights to see is invaluable. I emailed info like this to someone who was going to Roatan. I've dove there many times at all times of the year and the info was much appreciated as to dive sites, temps and depths.

you are right, of course.

I have logged all 11 of my dives on paper. I have also logged them on the PADI site, well all except the last couple.

I would love to have a comp which dowloads to the computer but I would also still sit at the end of the dive and log the dive in my log book. I think it is important to detail what you saw cause computers don't tell ya stuff like that. And in old age and when the memory is going it would be cool to look back and remember.

I have paper logged all of my 200 dives. I'm not into cutesy accounts of my dives but I do list gear, water temp, duration, depth and other pertinent points of the dive. It's a good post dive way to relax too. It has really helped me when I went back to a certain site I had dove before.

I can download the data from my Suunto but I prefer to keep a paper log/scrapbook.

I spend way too much time staring at a computerscreen anyway

I do both. Computer log and paper logbook. I have found the paper to be very useful when diving different sites. I put directions to different sites in there. Driving directions that is.

Paper AND plastic for me.... and I run the download stuff to a PDA version... I kinda' like looking at the pretty picture of the dive profile from time to time (as Vyper download)

I see the log more as a 'journal' of the dive. Don't write up narratives... but like to associate pictures along with the 'technical specifics'...

As other have said, I've worked with computers now for about 30 years... don't trust em' for anything beyond a short term lifespan...

serambin:
If you have a computer that downloads to PC, do you still write down your dives?

Even if my dive computer was downloadable, I would still hand-write my dive log.

Having a handwritten dive log lets me enjoy a nostalgic trip back while thumbing through the pages and seeing some of the interesting details, often written right at the dive site with a certain freshness hard to replicate if written later.

Those pages might even include a stain of flounder blood or mud off a scallop shell or water spots from a rough boat ride back!

The quality of the handwriting itself might convey something missed by the words alone. :)

There might also be diagrams of currents or landmarks or maps tucked in the margins.

I like a hand-written dive log, yes sir. Just sentimental, I guess.

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom