Do you know the world records in scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, was this record really "unplanned"? From Kristi's posts they knew it would be a very long dive. They had been mapping the system for months and brought over 5000 ft of line, is breaking the record really unplanned? This is not to diminish their accomplishments in the slightest, but breaking the record couldn't have come as a complete surprise.

No and I don't care either.

I have no idea what you are arguing about. John is very much agreeing with you. Please reread his post, I don't understand what you're talking about.

Not really sure it is necessary for you to "understand" what I am talking about, nor that I need to explain myself, but let me try.

John is saying that records in general in diving are not really viewed as achievements to be proud of due to our incredible growth as a community regarding the inherent dangers of trying to "set a record". I was simply saying that it is not the record as much as it is the intent of the individual/team that is setting the record. When you allow false bravado to be your reason for setting a record, I think John is absolutely right and there is not much room for that in the current dive community. When you set a record while doing something else much more worthy, then I am saying it does not diminish the record that was set and nor should that record be view in a "negative" way by our uber safety conscious community.

If Jon and Charlie THOUGHT that they might just break a record, it was still not the main drive of the exploration.

Can you see the difference now and is that a worthy enough explanation for you @CptTightPants21?

Not really sure it is necessary for you to "understand" what I am talking about, nor that I need to explain myself, but let me try.

John is saying that records in general in diving are not really viewed as achievements to be proud of due to our incredible growth as a community regarding the inherent dangers of trying to "set a record". I was simply saying that it is not the record as much as it is the intent of the individual/team that is setting the record. When you allow false bravado to be your reason for setting a record, I think John is absolutely right and there is not much room for that in the current dive community. When you set a record while doing something else much more worthy, then I am saying it does not diminish the record that was set and nor should that record be view in a "negative" way by our uber safety conscious community.

If Jon and Charlie THOUGHT that they might just break a record, it was still not the main drive of the exploration.

Can you see the difference now and is that a worthy enough explanation for you @CptTightPants21?
I have no idea what I said that even hinted at anything different from what you just wrote. I am baffled.

Wow, the max depth record is WAY deeper than I thought it was! According to the source posted:

diving.io website:
The record was in 2014, by Ahmed Gabr - an Egyptian scuba diver who reached a depth of 1,090m

John has said nothing of the sort that records are not viewed as achievements to be proud of.

I think you are just splitting hairs with what Jon and Charlie did. The whole point of the dive was to survey the cave and lay line. I could ask the question how is one supposed to set a cave distance world record without laying line? Do you really think Jon and Charlie didn't know they would set they record if they successfully laid the 5000+ feet of line they had brought?

I am not sure of much in life, but I am sure that people who try to set records in scuba diving are in the wrong sport.
If people didn't push the limits with diving, we'd still be stuck on land.

I still think the motive and reason for setting a "yup, could've died" record matter. Rescue? Research? or just "look at me!"?

Non -diving example from 66years ago, right at Christmas time. Setting a record was probably not uppermost in their minds:
SS Meredith Victory: The “Ship of Miracles” - KWMF

If people didn't push the limits with diving, we'd still be stuck on land.

Sure. People did it. People died. Now having built on their foundations we dive in relative safety, and pretty much anyone can do what they would reasonably want to do whilst diving.

People now try to dive to 1,200 feet on scuba, and they also die. People sit underwater for 9 straight days and get very cold. I am not sure that they achieve anything meaningful in the process other than proving Darwin's theory. No one is going to be doing bounce dives to 1,200 feet, or sitting in an aquarium for 9 straight days breathing compressed air, just because someone decided to do it for a "record".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom