Do you know the world records in scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ever heard of Google?
Deep diving - Wikipedia

Edit: Thanks for catching the typo John... interesting book BTW.
\/
I hope you found my "catch" amusing.

The problem with using Google for this is it would not have the benefit of Sam's insight into the records and his experiences with the people who set them.

Pioneers take many forms. Depth records are only one of them. Cave divers exploring further, wreck divers solving hidden history, pioneers like Cousteau who developed some of the techniques and equipment that made innovations possible or even (like him or hate him) someone like Ralph Erickson, who revolutionized (this IS the correct word) diver training and basically gave birth to the "sport" of recreational diving as we know it and opened up the world's oceans to the general public..... These are all pioneers and the list doesn't end there.

We seem to forget that diving is more than deepest, furthest, longest. Somewhere on this planet is an instructor (nobody even knows his/her name even if the person themselves are aware of it) who has certified the most divers. This is also a record and a record that perhaps has more added value to the sport of diving in general than one guy who made it to 332 meters and somehow survived without adding his own body to the body count.

Another interesting record may be the most number of dives made by a single individual. My guess is that this record also belongs to someone who may not even be aware of it. There are dive guides in Egypt who I know with 15,000 dives or more. Many of those dives would have been made guiding groups of tourists around, making diving accessible to the curious, to those with perhaps less than exemplary skills, or to those who wish to enjoy their vacation. It is also a record worthy of recognition.

I could go on but I hope you see my point. Extreme diving is only a thing. The limits of practical deep diving on scuba have already been well established and while a few more people may go deeper than 332 meters, the "hard bottom" will be determined by the body count. This does nothing to improve the image of our sport or to make it enjoyable to anyone.

Some food for thought.

R..

The record that are cool to me are the ones that come along as an added benefit of the original plan. Take Jon Bernot and Charlie Roberson's new record for example. They did not sit there late at night saying, "Man we are going to set a new distance record in Cathedral, regardless of the cost." Their original goal was mapping of the system and as much as they felt they could do within their limits, just so happens those two gentlemen ALSO set a penetration record! THOSE are records and feats to be proud of, not the glory hound hot doggers that attempt a record simply for the sake of a record.

The record that are cool to me are the ones that come along as an added benefit of the original plan. Take Jon Bernot and Charlie Roberson's new record for example. They did not sit there late at night saying, "Man we are going to set a new distance record in Cathedral, regardless of the cost." Their original goal was mapping of the system and as much as they felt they could do within their limits, just so happens those two gentlemen ALSO set a penetration record! THOSE are records and feats to be proud of, not the glory hound hot doggers that attempt a record simply for the sake of a record.
And this shows how attitudes have changed. What they did boggles my mind--it seems on the edge of impossible. It makes the old penetration records from not very long ago seem laughable. Yes, that record was duly noted by some people in online threads, but it was really barely noticed.

And this shows how attitudes have changed. What they did boggles my mind--it seems on the edge of impossible. It makes the old penetration records from not very long ago seem laughable. Yes, that record was duly noted by some people in online threads, but it was really barely noticed.

It was "barely" noticed because it was not the intent (which was my point) They did not go on talk shows and brag about what they would be attempting and get themselves out in the public eye and force attention upon themselves. They did what they did because that is simply what they do and the "record" was simply a bonus.

It was "barely" noticed because it was not the intent (which was my point) They did not go on talk shows and brag about what they would be attempting and get themselves out in the public eye and force attention upon themselves. They did what they did because that is simply what they do and the "record" was simply a bonus.
I agree with your point completely, but it also shows the change in attitudes over time, which was my point. If they had tried to make a big deal about it, I believe the reaction of the scuba community would have been pretty negative. Going after a record for the sake of setting a record just isn't cool any more.

I agree with your point completely, but it also shows the change in attitudes over time, which was my point. If they had tried to make a big deal about it, I believe the reaction of the scuba community would have been pretty negative. Going after a record for the sake of setting a record just isn't cool any more.

But that is not what they did, how is it you are missing that point? They did not go after a record for the sake of a record, they set a record simply by being awesome at what they do. They SHOULD be applauded. If they had approached this as a record attempt and then got all up in the public eye with meet and greets and such, like Doc Deep did, then I could see it being an issue and frowned upon. To imply anything else about the their record is simply disengenious.

But that is not what they did, how is it you are missing that point? They did not go after a record for the sake of a record, they set a record simply by being awesome at what they do. They SHOULD be applauded. If they had approached this as a record attempt and then got all up in the public eye with meet and greets and such, like Doc Deep did, then I could see it being an issue and frowned upon. To imply anything else about the their record is simply disengenious.
I had no idea I was implying anything else about their record. Can you explain to me how my statement "I agree with your point completely" shows that I missed your point? I merely added that IF they had bragged about it, no one would have seen it as being cool. Nothing I wrote implied that they were so motivated.

You have missed the whole point and no, you do NOT completely agree with me. But alas, carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom