Do you know the world records in scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the "deepest depth" records are held by dead people trying to best their own records...

There are lots of threads here about such things.

I am not sure of much in life, but I am sure that people who try to set records in scuba diving are in the wrong sport.

If you go back a few decades, many of the people who are today considered diving legends were very much into setting records. Sheck Exley was just one of them. His book Caverns Measureless to Man details the progress of his many depth records, starting with depths that many people reading this will have surpassed. Of course, it does not mention in the record setting attempt on which he died. In the earliest days of the the National Speleological Society-Cave Diving Section, a section of each issue of the newsletter was devoted to cave diving records of all sorts, and Exley's name figured prominently in those records. Guess who the editor of that newsletter was?

Other big names, including the founders of several of today's agencies, pursued those records. They actually served some purpose. Much of what we know today about safe deep diving and safe cave diving came from those people and those attempts.

Today we live in a very different world. The latest issue of the NSS-CDS newsletter arrived at my home yesterday, and there is not a hint of interest in records within it. When a relative beginning tech diver recently decided to set a new depth record, and the coming attempt was announced on ScubaBoard, nearly everyone who had an opinion begged him to reconsider, telling him not only that he was probably gong to die but also that pursuing such a record was just plain stupid and served no purpose. When he did indeed die on that dive, it was not seen as a heroic attempt (the way most people regard Exley's dives) but rather as a foolish waste of human life.

A (scuba, in this case) "record" that comes incidentally from exploring something new that the discoverer, and others, can learn from, is "good" in my book, or at least "not dumb".

Records (in scuba) that are simply to make the record and nothing else (max depth, longest dive), are "dumb".

Just my opinion. And I oughtta know, I'm a weekend rec diver and an English major.

PS to Naloria: you've now posted twice in succession, each with long direct quotes out of one web site, "diving io". Are you shilling for that site, or just really interested in our opinions?

Last edited:
boulderjohn wrote:

"" Other big names, including the founders of several of today's agencies, pursued those records. They actually served some purpose. Much of what we know today about safe deep diving and safe cave diving came from those people and those attempts.Other big names, including the founders of several of today's agencies, pursued those records. They actually served some purpose. Much of what we know today about safe deep diving and safe cave diving came from those people and those attempts."

who ?
when ?
where ?
why ?

What about Zale Parry's record ?

What about Hope Roots attempt at a record ?

SDM

boulderjohn wrote:

"" Other big names, including the founders of several of today's agencies, pursued those records. They actually served some purpose. Much of what we know today about safe deep diving and safe cave diving came from those people and those attempts.Other big names, including the founders of several of today's agencies, pursued those records. They actually served some purpose. Much of what we know today about safe deep diving and safe cave diving came from those people and those attempts."

who ?
when ?
where ?
why ?

What about Zale Parry's record ?

What about Hope Roots attempt at a record ?

SDM
Sam, how can I possibly fill in this information knowing that you are waiting in the wings? :)

You well know my knowledge of these things cannot hold a candle to yours, so I happily step back and leave the stage to you.

[QUOTE="

PS to Naloria: you've now posted twice in succession, each with long direct quotes out of one web site, "diving io". Are you shilling for that site, or just really interested in our opinions?[/QUOTE]

He's up to three now did you miss the "5 Best Dive Sites"

Back
Top Bottom