Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

• I close eyes

Votes: 70 29.4%
  • My eyes stay open

Votes: 95 39.9%
  • Depends, I close eyes in certain conditions (eg salt, cold, particles)

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • My mask never comes off and I don’t get water in mask

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, soon after I was certified, I removed my mask and replaced it, eyes closed, because of contacts.

When I drill now, I keep my eyes closed because of contacts.

That being said, I have been known to put my face in the water with my eyes open because I think I have my mask on. It makes me laugh every time and I've never lost a contact doing it. I dive in the ocean.

i close the eyes because i wear contacts

I don't LIKE opening my eyes underwater (I never have, even as a kid). Pool water HURTS. Salt water doesn't, but it's very cold, and I have a hard time convincing myself that it won't sting. But I have had to learn to open my eyes without my mask, because if you leave me in midwater, with no visual reference and no tactile reference (nobody holding my hand) I will begin to spin. Vertigo in midwater is a pretty horrible thing -- stinging eyes are MUCH preferable, and although I may not be able to read my gauges without my mask, I CAN see my buddies, and good buddies make excellent visual references.

Can't see with my eyes closed. I keep them open.

I never have a problem with water getting in my mask, so I usually always have it on. In the rare chance it has to come off, my eyes stay closed because of my contacts.

I've lost countless contacts while surfing and having just one contact in or losing them both sucks!

Since seawater DOES sting my eyes, if I lose a mask, I keep them closed, pull the spare mask out of my thigh pocket, place it on, clear, and maybe look for lost mask.

Argh, I just lost another contact in the pool last night. Granted, I was doing some underwater wrestling at the time but it's still annoying. Why is it always my right eye that loses it too? I'm going to have to buy just a single box of contacts for my right eye to make up for it pretty soon.

Argh, I just lost another contact in the pool last night. Granted, I was doing some underwater wrestling at the time but it's still annoying. Why is it always my right eye that loses it too? I'm going to have to buy just a single box of contacts for my right eye to make up for it pretty soon.

You must have a flat eye :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom