Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

• I close eyes

Votes: 70 29.4%
  • My eyes stay open

Votes: 95 39.9%
  • Depends, I close eyes in certain conditions (eg salt, cold, particles)

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • My mask never comes off and I don’t get water in mask

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought that was your fake eye?

I have no problem opening my eyes underwater. But sometimes ... especially in the pool ... I will see things I wish I hadn't seen ... :shocked: ... at least in the ocean when you see a nudibranch, that's what it really is ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My eyes stay open unless the water has something in it to irritate them.

... like an ugly diver?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sea Water: NO! Burns like acid
Salt Water Pool (saline): Yes if necessary
Chlorinated Pool: Try not to
Lake: Try not to
Fresh Water Spring (cold): Try not to

Sea Water: NO! Burns like acid

Sea water won't bother you until you put your mask back on or otherwise create an air space that will cause the sea water to start to dry. I lived in fear of opening my eyes in the ocean for a long time before one day feeling like I HAD to. Expecting a burning sensation, I was pleasantly surprised to discover it didn't happen. Once I was able to replace my mask and clear it, I did get some burning ... but it wasn't any worse than what I got when I had been doing mask flood and clears with my eyes closed (you still get some salt water in your eyes once you've cleared your mask anyway).

Now if I have to remove my mask underwater I just keep my eyes open and deal with the minute or so of stinging afterward ... it's really not that bad.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i grew up swimming in salt water with my eyes open

it's not bad to begin with, and you get used to it pretty quickly

Sea water won't bother you until you put your mask back on or otherwise create an air space that will cause the sea water to start to dry. I lived in fear of opening my eyes in the ocean for a long time before one day feeling like I HAD to. Expecting a burning sensation, I was pleasantly surprised to discover it didn't happen. Once I was able to replace my mask and clear it, I did get some burning ... but it wasn't any worse than what I got when I had been doing mask flood and clears with my eyes closed (you still get some salt water in your eyes once you've cleared your mask anyway).

Now if I have to remove my mask underwater I just keep my eyes open and deal with the minute or so of stinging afterward ... it's really not that bad.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Interesting....I didn't know that. Thanks, Bob! Now we'll see how long it takes me to get brave enough to test this out :rofl3:

Interesting....I didn't know that. Thanks, Bob! Now we'll see how long it takes me to get brave enough to test this out :rofl3:

One way or another (bravery aside) I imagine you'll be testing it out August 26-30.

:wink:

Now I prefer to have my eyes open when the mask is off but at the beginning i did not like it because of burning...But now my eyes are used to it and its all GOOOD ..No burning too..

One way or another (bravery aside) I imagine you'll be testing it out August 26-30.

:wink:

I suspect you may be right. I don't think there's any chance Andy will let me get away without taking my mask off at least once! I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that much of my diving will be without a mask....

Back
Top Bottom