Do you keep O-rings on housings all the time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, everybody. The diverse views & practices have really been helpful.

Someone mentioned on one thread a 'tissue test,' where you put a tissue inside your house, dive once, and if that tissue's dry, next dive with your camera. I suppose that could work...

Richard.

I wouldn't dive with a tissue - I wouldn't want to get lint on the o-ring. That's just me.

That's a different thing, really.

And I wouldn't put tissues in my housing - they have lots of fibers usually. A panty shield will help mop up any minor floods. You still have to watch for fibers.

Personally, I don't take housings down without cameras. The odds of it being a manufacturer defect that I didn't see are pretty low and this is the only thing it will save...other floods are user error and that can not happen for 1000s of dives and then one day, boom...f-word.

Being careful, slow and attentive; using a well lit area; and doing it the same way every time are some of the best tips I have to help reduce the odds :D

I have an a620 as well and I leave the o-ring on when not in use. The case stays closed but not latched (slight crack) to prevent compression of the o-ring. I haven't found the o-ring difficult to remove after I learned (here) to use a credit card or similar to help remove it. Start at the top or side in the middle and slide the card unnder the o-ring. Move the card and once you get to a corner, off it comes with what seems to be little stress.

I'm not a big credit card fan - their edges can be sharp and you can slice the oring accidentally.

With these small housings, it's a matter of practice to squeeze the oring off. Use your thumb and forefinger on opposite sides of the case, gently apply a little pressure while gently moving your fingers towards the short end of the case. The oring should pooch just a tad. With your other hand (or your thumb works well, too), gently roll the oring off. It sounds tricky, but it's very easy and very easy on the oring itself.

You can also try to roll the oring off the groove without doing the little squeeze and push, but I find it easier to do the first option :wink:

Best tool I've seen for removing o-rings: The humble guitar pick. Light (thin) gauge. Very smooth, not sharp, thin enough to get in the groove, strong enough to pull it out. And dirt cheap.

PKAG-T_sm_.jpg

A few companies used to send those out with new housings, but I haven't seen one in ages...think I have a couple floating around somewhere. Sea & Sea also used to make a plastic thing...didn't work nearly as well as the guitar pick type :wink:

I have two sets of rings. One set is my 'working' set which I use to dive with. They stay in unless I'm sure I won't use the camera for a couple of months. If I go to store mode then I swop them out and use the 'storage' set (that originally came with the camera and are therefore the oldest). The others get greased, into a plastic bag, and into a dark drawer.
This way they never get over stretched by being in use continually.

I noticed guitar picks at Circuit City the other day!

I just ordered 2 spare O-rings from Canon; turns out you have to buy directly from them. Since it took me some trouble to find out all that, I'm posting here in case anybody else reads the thread & is interested.

To order Canon O-rings for the WP-DC90 housing for my A620 I called 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), chose an option for parts & accessories, spoke to a rep., got put through to a different department, spent awhile on hold, then spoke with another rep. & made the order.

An O-ring is $10.27, shipping $6, & for 2 O-rings & shipping I think I paid $28.13 (if I heard the rep.'s voice right). They take major credit cards.

Just in case anybody's in the market for spare Canon O-rings, there you go.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom