Votes: 109 64.5%
  • no, I borrow my budd's extra tank

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • no, I rent

Votes: 39 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(2) Hp 80's
(1) AL 80
(1) HP 120

O-ring..... I am curious why you are liking your 72's more than your 80's??

I would not buy a used AL 80.... they are only approx. $100 here in the states. That is too cheap to bother with buying used IMO.
BUT.... steel tanks can be expensive... and I would always keep an eye out for a good deal on them. Garage sales, etc..

Yes! Most are steel 100-135 cu. ft. tanks. My ponys and stages are alum. 40-80 cu. ft. tanks. From what I read modern tanks, that is to say ones that don't have an epoxy lining are going to last your dive life with some care. Never leave them empty. Buy quality air, ( filtered ), and remove the boots often ( steel tanks ) so moisture can evaporate. Store them on their sides so as not to fall over and chip their coatings, if so equipped, or dammage the threads and valves. You don't have to spend a fortune for tanks either, shop around . Someone is always selling one. Have it's passage of hydro or vip part of the deal.

I currently own 4 Steel 72's
and an AL 19 pony.

One of the Steel 72's belonged to my grandfather. The tank is an US-Divers tank with a 1/2" tapered pipe treaded valve. The original Hydro test date is 1/59. So that tank is 46 1/2 years old!! The tank has been hydro tested every 5 years since it was new and its still going strong. I use the tank all the time.

Dave

Don't know what the cost of tanks and fills is compared to hire elsewhere but here in Oz its $15+ to hire a tank v's $4-6 for a fill and $300 for a steel 100.

Easy decision for me once I got my boat. We were averaging 5 dives a week, so the tanks were paid for in 3 months. Plus there is the added bonus of being able to take off whenever you want (realy good for night dives at the last minute).

We have 4 E7-80s for myself and my wife. This is our first year as divers and at our current pace we should easilly be money ahead by the end of this years diving. More importatnt we're diving cylinders that I consider far supperior for the diving we do and we have them available at a moments notice.

Pete

diverkim:
I wonder how many local divers own their own tanks? What is the average life span of a tank before it fails the hydrostatic test.
Do steel tanks last longer than aluminium tanks?

I just picked up two AL80's. I don't mind the cost of renting, but I live in the Mountains, and the LDS opens at 10:00am. That means I either have to drive to Denver Friday (expensive with the cost of gas) and end my dives before 3:00pm to get the tanks back on time, or dive late and take the tanks back the following day OR pay for a two day rental which gets expensive.

I purchaed the tanks used, and it's nice to be able to take off and dive without getting the LDS involed. Sure, I still need fils, but I can do that when it's convienent with my schedule, so I keep them filled, and I'm ready to go whenever... which unfortuately in this area is not nearly as often as I'd like. :11:

2 AL80's
1 AL40
2 E7-100's
2 72's
2 E8-130's

And I want for more all to often.

0, zip, nada. A shop that has 12-18 tanks trucked in everyday is just 2 blocks from my Maui condo, and is open from 7AM to 9PM. At $4 per filled tank it just doesn't make sense to buy my own, particularly when I'd have to drive a bit further to get a fill.

The only downside is that I'm stuck with AL80's when lots of times I'd prefer an AL65 for easier entry/exit on shallow shore dives.

Even though this is a 3 year old thread I'll have a go.

Yes, I have an AL 80 and I will be buying 2 more soon.

As far as the value compared to renting, who cares. :D

Jeffrey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom