Do you have to defend your sidemount setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, not had to defend my rig. Been sidemounting for eight years, and have answered lots of questions and even sparked others to taking sidemount courses.

try defending THIS!!!!

Attachments

• poseidon.jpg
    poseidon.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 118
My answer, when people question why I'm diving side-mount doubles on an open-water dive, is that I'm an air-hog, and this way they won't have to cut their dive short because I'm low on air.

I did have to "defend" my Transpac sidemount rig the first time I dove with it, with Amy Slate's in Key Largo; yes, I had some difficulties that first morning out in the water, but I was there to find and fix the problems before I took the rig down to the Islands. The divemaster on the boat had the manager tell me that I must change back to back-mount singles - and I said, then I might as well go straight home. Well, after some discussion, they said I had to hire a dive guide, which was OK with me....

The divemaster from that first day was my paid guide on day 4, after I'd worked out the major problems and had things going all right. After that dive, which included a swim-through where I swung my tanks up in front of me, he praised my control and said the difference between my diving on day 1 and day 4 was like night and day!

Since then, I've gotten questions about my rig, but no more sharpshooting "criticism" ... though I've gotten (and I appreciate) helpful pointers from sidemount-savvy instructors and divemasters, from Boca Chica (Dominican Republic) to Subic Bay (Philippines).

I expect to have some comments now that I've decided that my travel setup will be a sidemount harness (razor). I have no problem paying for extra tanks in some cases. I have simply gotten tired of traveling with a pony bottle (as one isn't always available). I like having some sort of redundant air when I dive, as I enjoy taking pictures and will not always be within 30 seconds of someone. That's the reality of UW photography.

I really don't expect anyone to be rude or insulting though for when I dive. If I do, I'll just ignore them, as diving relaxes me. Conflict doesn't.

I have no problem paying for extra tanks in some cases ... I like having some sort of redundant air when I dive, as I enjoy taking pictures and will not always be within 30 seconds of someone. That's the reality of UW photography.

Sir, I represent that remark. ;^)

Aside from solving my "air-hog" problem, I feel more secure carrying a redundant air supply. As you say, I'm going to be concentrating on my photo, not on keeping track of the other divers ... and if someone DOES need some "spare air," I've got plenty to donate.

Aside from solving my "air-hog" problem, .

An additional benefit of sidemount. For people who go through air faster, they are able to stay with the rest of the group longer, and that should make everyone happy.

Also, with sidemount, we don't need a tec operation for support. Sure, we won't have a left handed valve, but we can all deal with that.

An additional benefit of sidemount. For people who go through air faster, they are able to stay with the rest of the group longer, and that should make everyone happy.

Also, with sidemount, we don't need a tec operation for support. Sure, we won't have a left handed valve, but we can all deal with that.

I was told, in all seriousness, by some British divers at Amy Slate's, that "sidemount is an entry drug to tec diving...."

I think I fall short of this. I have yoke-mounted regulators. What's a left-handed valve? :jester: o_O

I silently question the merits of sidemount on a LoB - mostly due to sea conditions. With a 1 to 1.5 m swell in the south China Sea, getting up a ladder on the stern of a large LoB is difficult. As a guide with a great crew, it sometimes takes one person in the water, and one person on the deck to assist a sidemount diver to board the boat. Its safe, but might be inappropriate for the conditions.

I silently question the merits of sidemount on a LoB - mostly due to sea conditions. With a 1 to 1.5 m swell in the south China Sea, getting up a ladder on the stern of a large LoB is difficult. As a guide with a great crew, it sometimes takes one person in the water, and one person on the deck to assist a sidemount diver to board the boat. Its safe, but might be inappropriate for the conditions.
Seeing that you list Seattle as a location, have you ever gone diving with Bill Minton's charter out on Neah Bay? Recently we dove the Diamond Knot and I was in sidemount. I had no trouble climbing up the ladder in some swell with 20 lbs of lead and 2 S100 tanks. I'd imagine that on a LoB in a wetsuit, a lot less lead (maybe none?), and 2 AL80's, I'll have a much easier time.

A quality LoB wouldn't normally have staff at the ladder to assist customer divers exit the water??

The issue of de-kitting and water exit is really a skills-based factor. There should never be any need for assistance in-water. If a sidemount diver cannot handle their own equipment in a timely and organized manner, then they shouldn't have been qualified at that time.

Handing cylinders up to a boat is a different matter. That's often a prudent and safe approach to water exit onto a boat. I see plenty of backmount divers also de-kitting in water and handing up BCDs, weights to staff.... especially if they have physical limitations or injuries.

In this case, it looks more like people who need to defend their sidemount training, than their sidemount set-up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom