Do you have to defend your sidemount setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so your argument is they are still being used because "that's the way we've always done it", and then we listen to the same people say that bp/w's are only for technical divers. That's a way for progress, superior gear exists, but we aren't going to use it because we are afraid of change, or are protecting our profit margins. Great argument for advancing the industry right there Pete... and no, I am not tolerant of that attitude from the industry since it inhibits advancement of gear because the mfg's are hell bent on producing the new fancy jacket bc's and charging $700 for them with gimicky nonsense that isn't needed, and yes, it is only to pad their wallets.

Last edited:
I often have to defend my sidemount setup facing divers who dive with normal BCD and single bottle. It bothers me. Is there other who gets annoying comments from people who think it's ridiculous, and dont understand why you dont dive as the them and what do you say?

Forgive me if this has been covered.

Why do you care what other divers think? Smile and go diving.

Tobin

so your argument is
You're so off on "my argument". My argument is that you're needlessly bashing dive shops. Everyone sells to make a profit... yes, even your sacred BP&Wing is sold as a profit. Most of the world doesn't like them and prefer a more traditional BC. It's all about fit and comfort, isn't it? Does a BP&Wing make you a better diver? Only in your head. I have ditched the BP&Wing for singles back mount diving. I much prefer a back inflate BC that has no BP in it at all. Guess what? Very few dive shops carry what I like and that's OK. They carry what sells. I know of a shop in S Miami that used the same kind of BC I use for all their classes. After a year they went back to traditional BCs. Why? The students didn't like them I would guess. I bought all they had left for my students. Their loss is my gain.

Shops need to make a profit. They are probably going to stock what the owner feels is the best thing out on the market. MARKET ALERT: They probably won't be asking for your input on this. Sales people tend to sell what they use. It's not about corporate greed at all and indicating such is incredibly myopic and childish. They are in business to turn a profit. You call that greed because they don't pander to you. Reasonable people call that being market savvy. FWIW, those who have found a niche selling BP&Wings are just as market savvy. Get this, both are selling at a profit. Shocking I know, but true. It's like a Chevy fan suggesting that all Ford dealers are greedy because all they sell are Fords. How can they sleep at night, right?

If your only metric is that a shop sells gear you don't, oh the horror, personally approve of... then labeling them greedy is nothing but bashing. Good job at bringing this to PMs.

No, dear reader, he still doesn't comprehend that he's actually bashing dive shops. He'll stick to his delusions ad nauseum. Some people are just born to bash others because they do things differently.

but chevy isn't selling at a 30% markup while ford is selling at a 100% markup, and that is my problem. I have no problem with profit, i have a problem with shops pushing things with 100% markup over things with 30% markup even though the 30% is a better product at often times a lower price. They have to stay in business I get it, but the whole industry is beyond repair, it's not the dive shops fault they were put in this position, but they are certainly in it

"Sell good merchandise at a reasonable profit, treat your customers like human beings and they will always come back for more." -L.L. Bean

If the manufacturers, agencies, and dive shops followed that model, our industry would be a much better place, unfortunately VERY few of them do. Almost all of them miss on the second, unfortunately many miss on both the first and the second, and quite a few miss on all three....

Last edited:
My answer is "I dive with my tanks there so I can keep an eye on them and they don't sneak away" along with a huge "eat sh't" smile.

After that if someone is truely interested in my reasons for that particular configuration that day I'm happy to chat.

Diver without a hobbyhorse. (Accepting all scooter offers though)
-Cameron

I don't have to defend it. When people see it they usually just point and look at it or ask me how it works. Had a whole bunch of OW students looking at me once as they were learning giant stride - fun times.

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil:
but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right
cheek, turn to him the other also.

I normally get people wanting to know how I've got mine set up and looking for pointers. Never had anyone tell me it was stupid. However, I've heard side mounters sneer at back mounters in caves.

I'm just a relative newb to diving and being a techie gadget lover I'm the type of guy asking you what you've got and why. It helps pass the boat rides & SI and I'll store the info in my noggin for future reference. What amazes me is that in almost 2 years of diving I've yet to meet these condescending and generally unpleasant divers I keep reading about online. I'm getting worried that if I don't meet these jerks does that mean I'm the guy?

I'm just a relative newb to diving and being a techie gadget lover I'm the type of guy asking you what you've got and why. It helps pass the boat rides & SI and I'll store the info in my noggin for future reference. What amazes me is that in almost 2 years of diving I've yet to meet these condescending and generally unpleasant divers I keep reading about online. I'm getting worried that if I don't meet these jerks does that mean I'm the guy?

Not to worry. You aren't that guy. I've never met these unpleasant characters either, and I've spent a lot of time in tech gear diving off of recreational boats. Lots of questions, a few surprised looks, but never a judgmental attitude. Maybe it was all around me and I failed to notice, but long ago I decided to only concern myself with the opinions of those I had good reason to respect.

If I'm in dive gear I'm either 1) On my way to a good time, 2) Having a good time, 3) Celebrating a good dive. Not much spare energy to worry about what some other diver thinks of my gear.

I should note that I have had a number of entertaining Q&A periods on "cattle boats"

Them: What is that?
Me: It's a Back plate and wing

Them: Looks uncomfortable
Me: Ya I know, but's not, would you like to try it on?

Them: Cool

Them: Where did you get it?
Me: I made it.

Them: No really where did you get it?
Me: I made it, really. :)

Tobin

If I'm in dive gear I'm either 1) On my way to a good time, 2) Having a good time, 3) Celebrating a good dive.

And that's why I'm out there too. Kinda funny that last weekend we had a sidemount diver on our dive boat at the lake. First time we had one when I was on the boat too. Someone asked about why sidemount on a rec dive and his answer was pretty good. "Dive gear is expensive. It's all I own so it was this or stay home". Can't argue with that if I wanted to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom