Do you have during-dive or post-dive checklists? Whats on it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With my own group we do a pre-dive check routine where every team member goes through all items of equipment from head to fins and from left to right. Everyone checks and reports that all items are in place (which place exactly), valves are open, regulators work when submerged computers and lights charged and functioning, the gas pressure and the turn pressure. Others have to confirm that they agree. We do this while floating on the surface before descent. At a depth of some meters we do a bubble check and also that the regulator is deployable for gas sharing.

On the dive tours with instabuddies nobody seems to care though and everyone dives as if solo.

I have a pre head for the boat checklist on my phone to make sure I have everything.

Then when I gear up I have a mental head to toe check list.

Before stepping off the boat I take a couple puffs of air while looking at the gauge and give a puff of air to the BCD to make sure it is connected.

What to Do? Well a lot depends on you certification level and experience. A dive master would first announce to the boat that he was a 'dive master' and then go into a lengthy explanation of why there was snot on his face and the long term effects of the dreaded SOF (snot on face to laymen) and the fatalities that can occur from such. A technical diver would grab an extra side mount tank so they could further research said phenomenon and probably search for additional equipment to prevent such a thing from happening again. A new open water certified diver would seek out the next PADI certification on snot removal and prevention. An advanced open water diver would ask his buddy about checking his "snot on face" situation and ask to borrow the or her hand. The last diver has many years of diving experience, has no advanced badges or certifications, they wipe their face and get in the boat.

When I'm in Cozumel (and my one trip to Cabo Pulmo...) I have a post-dive checklist:

1. Rinse gear
2. Find tacos y cerveza
3. Eat tacos, drink cerveza
4. Siesta

When I'm diving elsewhere, #2 and #3 are slightly different... but only slightly.

As Diver0001 said, it's more habits than checklists.

Just before I jump I take two or three good breaths from the reg while looking at the gauge. If it moves at all, it needs attention before jumping. After jumping, but before or during descent, locate buddy and make sure OK.

After reaching the bottom I look at the SPG to make sure I really do have as much air as I told myself up top. And, of course, the depth.

Check if buddy is OK.

I have been trying to develop the habit of, after the dive, check or fix those minor things that occurred to me during the dive.

After a dive trip, review with my buddy what we did well, and what we can improve.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom