Do you have during-dive or post-dive checklists? Whats on it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kohanbash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all
Note: I am thinking about recreational diving and not technical diving.
Thanks

Hi all
Note: I am thinking about recreational diving and not technical diving.
Thanks
neither i have pre dive checklists

I always check my spg as soon as I get to the bottom and if wearing my drysuit close the exhaust valve a turn or so.

During the dive I have habits more than checklists.

A couple of examples are that once the descent is done I pause for a moment check my buddy for leaks and give an OK sign and indicate the direction to swim before we go anywhere. This is part of a broader habit of communicating before every change in tempo, direction or depth. Checking for leaks is just part of a radar for potential problems I've developed and can't ignore.

Another one is that I have developed a very strong habit of checking my air every 10 minutes. Most of the time after the first 10 minutes of a dive I can usually calculate in my head how much air I will have left at the end of the planned dive, but I still get this irresistible "itch" to re-check it every time I notice 10 minutes have gone by.

Those would be the two most noticeable things you would see if we dived together.

After the dive I don't have a checklist.

R..

I mostly solo dive and have no specific checklists. Mostly limiting myself to 30' amounts to glorified snorkeling. I first thought you meant checklists to make sure you have all your gear. My stuff sits in one place at home, so it all goes in the car and the space is empty. After the dives I do a walk around the car to be sure it all is back in the car. Over the years I have made rare mistakes.

They usually have something to do with my depth, air, time, and where my buddy is. How deep am I, how much air do I have left and how much time is that really given the depth I’m at, how long have we been diving vs how long we expect to dive for, and where is my buddy? They should be close to me. I also adjust the knob on my reg once at depth to adjust breathing effort. When I get to surface I close it to prevent freeflow when I let go of it. I check which direction we are headed in and check the bearings and headings on compass in case we get separated or lost.

Other things are related to my camera. While diving, I check to ensure my vacuum light is green which confirms the housing is not compromised. I also ensure my flood alarm is not going off.

Post-dive, I remember to share depth and time so the dayboat or liveaboard can plan surface intervals. I jot down notes about the dive. I prepare my camera for the next dive - strobe batteries, camera batteries, o-rings, lights, etc.

During dive, SPG more often than not. Will always on the first dive of the day, not at any specific time change to my octo and breath through it for a few minutes. IMO few people know if their octo's do work at depth.

One thing I do is breath through my octo at depth at the end of a dive. Every time it goes as follows.
'**** this is still like pulling a golf ball through a hose pipe. OK it's not that bad it works.'
then swap back and ascend

Back
Top Bottom