Do you get a C card for PADI enriched air ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The context is that you are either certified for nitrox, or being certified while using it. There is no implication in the OW manual or EANx manual that it is OK to just use nitrox on any old dive if uncertified. "under supervision" means in a class.
I'll play devil's advocate here and I'm certainly not suggesting non-certified diver go out and start diving EAN without first obtaining a certification, but reading that knowledge question, one could absolutely conclude that it would be okay to do so as long as they're with an EAN instructor. It doesn't specify in a classroom setting or even during a training dive. And in this day and age where EVERYTHING is open for interpretation, you'd think PADI would want to be absolutely clear and concise with its wording, especially from a liability standpoint.

I'll play devil's advocate here and I'm certainly not suggesting non-certified diver go out and start diving EAN without first obtaining a certification, but reading that knowledge question, one could absolutely conclude that it would be okay to do so as long as they're with an instructor. It doesn't specify in a classroom setting or even during a training dive. And in this day and age where EVERYTHING is open for interpretation, you'd think PADI would want to be absolutely clear and concise with its wording, especially from a liability standpoint.
With an instructor is not the same as being under supervision by a nitrox instructor, which is what it says.

With an instructor is not the same as being under supervision by a nitrox instructor, which is what it says.
I amended my post to specify nitrox instructor, which is what I meant but failed to state. Still it doesn't mention it being in a classroom setting or training dive. I'm not arguing by any means; just saying that maybe the question needs to reworded because it could be misconstrued.

I amended my post to specify nitrox instructor, which is what I meant but failed to state. Still it doesn't mention it being in a classroom setting or training dive. I'm not arguing by any means; just saying that maybe the question needs to reworded because it could be misconstrued.
LOL. Many PADI questions could be worded better. But in this case, "supervision" is the key word you are ignoring. It has a specific meaning re being in a class, not the general meaning you seem to be using.

I would like to interpose an observation based on my 14+ years on ScubaBoard.

For the first 5-6 or so, any discussion on Nitrox instruction would be dominated by people saying that nitrox instruction is too lax and not properly preparing students for that experience. You would typically see posts complaining that they ran into a Nitrox-certified diver who did not remember the equation for determining MOD and would thus be totally at a loss for knowing how deep they could safely go. People would wax eloquent about the need to have memorized all the equations (like Equivalent Air Depth) and being able to compute long term exposures to limit the potential for pulmonary oxygen toxicity.

I don't think I've seen a single post like those in the past 5 years, maybe longer. It seems to me the dominant thought seems to be that understanding all you need to know about Nitrox is so darned easy that they can't understand why a class is even needed.

For the first 5-6 or so, any discussion on Nitrox instruction would be dominated by people saying that nitrox instruction is too lax and not properly preparing students for that experience. You would typically see posts complaining that they ran into a Nitrox-certified diver who did not remember the equation for determining MOD and would thus be totally at a loss for knowing how deep they could safely go. People would wax eloquent about the need to have memorized all the equations (like Equivalent Air Depth) and being able to compute long term exposures to limit the potential for pulmonary oxygen toxicity.

I don't think I've seen a single post like those in the past 5 years, maybe longer. It seems to me the dominant thought seems to be that understanding all you need to know about Nitrox is so darned easy that they can't understand why a class is even needed.
LOL.
The pendulum never stops in the middle.

There's an app for that! A couple I've seen. One for iOS that has sliders to choose your mix and ppg and another where you just choose your mix and only 1.4 and 1.6 options for ppg. But yes the formulas can be a bit daunting at first.

There's an app for that! A couple I've seen. One for iOS that has sliders to choose your mix and ppg and another where you just choose your mix and only 1.4 and 1.6 options for ppg. But yes the formulas can be a bit daunting at first.
LOL
Apps and iPhones did not exist when the first Nitrox classes came out. My class was in 1999 (instructor was Brian Kakuk), I had only just gotten rid of my brick cell-phone.

To extrapolate the original issue a bit further.

A trimix instructor can have an obviously not trimix certified student use normoxic trimix on dive 4 of the regular version TEC50 not the TMX50 version. Here the student using trimix is under the supervision of the trimix instructor and does not specifically receive any training on the use of trimix.

PADI EAN has three versions, all require 2 dives, either simulated or actual.
1. Rarely used tables version
2. Much simpler dive computer version with video, book, Knowledge Reviews, exam
3. eLearning dive computer version, 10 question quiz with instructor

PADI AOW classroom or eLearning all require 5 dives, each of which are the first dive and the first Knowledge Review of their respective specialties - a “sampler” course, if you will. Must include Deep and Navigation. Historically you could actually take 5 specialty courses, and get an AOW card without taking an actual AOW course. There is some added “wrapper” content now that needs to be included, but how often does someone choose the 5 specialty path?

EAN in AOW: to apply, you MUST do an EAN dive. If you already have EAN card via simulated dives, do a supervised dive and it counts. AOW course materials do not include EAN content, so AOW student needs to buy EAN course material. If book/video, you are doing half the content for AOW dive, silly not to do the rest. If eLearning, you need to complete full online content and the quiz, so even more foolish not to just finish.

Only oddity I find in this narrative is if the diver did not own EAN course materials. That could be a standards issue.

Back
Top Bottom