Do you get a C card for PADI enriched air ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There can actually be something beneficial to doing an AOW dive that does not in itself have that much value as a dive. I now that sounds nuts, but let me explain.

In working with AOW students in Colorado, I like to have them do the altitude dive. They get the benefit of learning about altitude, but the altitude dive itself has no learning in it. Like the nitrox dive, there is nothing to do during the dive itself. With an AOW student take full advantage and work on other things. I use the first dives to assess the student and use the altitude dive to work on what I think will do the most good.

Just to be clear, you did the nitrox theory (did you get the nitrox manual in addition to the aow manual?) and 2 dives, demonstrating testing of the nitrox yourself and setting up the computer?
I followed the theory but didn’t get my own Nitrox manual, was done in classroom with slides.

Did two dives and checks and set the computer under supervision.

Just to be clear, you did the nitrox theory (did you get the nitrox manual in addition to the aow manual?) and 2 dives, demonstrating testing of the nitrox yourself and setting up the computer?
The AOW class is supposed to consist of dives that introduce you to diving experiences that may interest you enough to pursue it more on your own. When nitrox first became part of recreational diving, the class was huge, with a lot of challenging learning. The AOW EAN dive gave a diver a taste of iit, and the diver could then go on to take the full specialty and get certified. In time, they realized that nitrox was not the big bad boogie man it was originally believed to be, and most of the learning was removed from the specialty course because it was not necessary. What that means is that the "taste" of nitrox you get in the AOW course is not much different from the full course, so in my view it does not make a lot of sense to have it a part of the AOW course any more.

To be clear, it looks as if the OP did the introduction to nitrox in AOW but did not take the specialty class required for certification.

Did you watch the Nitrox video?

The AOW class is supposed to consist of dives that introduce you to diving experiences that may interest you enough to pursue it more on your own. When nitrox first became part of recreational diving, the class was huge, with a lot of challenging learning. The AOW EAN dive gave a diver a taste of iit, and the diver could then go on to take the full specialty and get certified. In time, they realized that nitrox was not the big bad boogie man it was originally believed to be, and most of the learning was removed from the specialty course because it was not necessary. What that means is that the "taste" of nitrox you get in the AOW course is not much different from the full course, so in my view it does not make a lot of sense to have it a part of the AOW course any more.

To be clear, it looks as if the OP did the introduction to nitrox in AOW but did not take the specialty class required for certification.

I wouldn't expect the AOW EAN dive to be two dives though; only one. It sounds to me like what he didn't wasn't any different from the full course as it is currently taught, other than not getting the card.

Bluetrin, what other dives did you do as part of your AOW?

Did you watch the Nitrox video?
I am not sure to be honest, it was a month ago.

I’ll do the theory and what is required to get the c card in any case, need to check with my local school.

I plan do switch to BSAC afterwards anyway and AOW does not make a difference for BSAC: you get the same equivalence than OW.

So I am pretty sure I’ll cover it again during the BSAC sports diver theory ...

(I am switching to BSAC because living in London, joining a local club would allow me to have weekend diving trips and meet potential diving buddies)

BSAC is an entirely different kettle of fish. Good luck!

One hour of reading, on line exam...bring exam into your local DS, chat about filling, labeling and testing. Go over test Q, get C card.....go Dive with Nitrox.

One hour of reading, on line exam...bring exam into your local DS, chat about filling, labeling and testing. Go over test Q, get C card.....go Dive with Nitrox.
Yeah, but that is not to standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom