Do you feel safer owning your own equipment?

do yo feel safer diving in equipment you own?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdwrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
not asking whether it IS safer or not, but do you feel safer diving in equipment that you purchased / that you own...

versus rental equipment...

YES or NO

I voted yes, but with the proviso that I feel entirely safe diving in borrowed or rented equipment which is identical to my own. I might worry a bit about rental equipment in a remote place, where gear maintenance is questionable, but a place like that would be unlikely to have equipment identical to mine, anyway.

Hell Yes! I take good care of my stuff and it generally takes good care of me. I can actually see a difference in my SAC when diving my gear vs rental because I am more relaxed.

Not necessarily. I've used my own gear for more than 24 years. I've had a couple of O-rings blow and a few freeflows. Of the few times I've used rental gear, the only problem I found was leaking tank neck O-rings in all the tanks in Cozumel.

I heard horror stories about ill maintained rental gears at far off places, but since I hadn't seen any first hand, I can't account for it. However, the gears at the various SoCal shops are well maintained (probably due to liability not to mention a very competitive market). So I would feel safe using rental gears from SoCal shops.

This is an easy one. I feel safer because I am safer. I know when all my equipment was last serviced and tested. I know it's maintenance and use history since new, and I know every user ( just me). I do not worry about equipment failure, though I know it can happen. Owning my equipment has caused me to much more familiar with it and its operation that a non owner will ever be, which is also a a "feel safe" thing. I do not worry about fit or comfort, and I don't worry about proper weighting because I am familiar with proper weight for conditions in the gear I am using. I 'Feel" much safer using my own gear than rental gear or borrowed gear ( having used both).
DIvemasterDennis

Safer, yes but more importantly, more comfortable and familiar.
With my own gear I know where everything is and how everything work and how it was all serviced and handled..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom