Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vetscalpel:
I assume you are handing the weights to your buddy so he/she can drop them!
Yup. That way they can buy new ones for you since they lost them. :D

Being a newbie to the board, I will simply share my opinion. PADI instructs you to use the snork, I have had need for it in both shore diving and boat diving, and my friend (A course director for PADI) goes through BWRAF (which includes MASK, FINS, and SNORKEL) with his wife on EVERY dive. All things considered, I will keep mine left side with a short hose from the right and I believe everything will be just fine. I used to not really be concerned about BWRAF until I ran into problems on a recent dive, now my wife and I BWRAF as well. :wink:

Aquaman28:
snorkels are just that....for snorkeling. scuba is for scuba diving. if you come up to find no boat and don't like the idea of the backstroke, you can always inflate your bcd, remove it and place your arms through it with the butt end of the tank away from you. think about it.

Okay, Aquaman, maybe you are like your name-sake from the comic strip.

Until you show me how well YOU do swimming two and half to three miles in heavy chop, I'll continue to keep a snork with me, and use it when I need it!

You think about it!

As I said, it's a tool. Use it when you need it. As Mr. Natural always says: "Hey, get the right tool for the job, Kids!" :eyebrow:

Rob Davie :doctor:

BigJetDriver69:
Okay, Aquaman, maybe you are like your name-sake from the comic strip.

Until you show me how well YOU do swimming two and half to three miles in heavy chop, I'll continue to keep a snork with me, and use it when I need it!

You think about it!

As I said, it's a tool. Use it when you need it. As Mr. Natural always says: "Hey, get the right tool for the job, Kids!" :eyebrow:

2 or 3 miles in chop? What type of situation is this? If I'm lost of a boat, chances are I'm just going to chill for a while - this doesn't seem like a too realistic situation. But, I swim just fine on my back anyways, so who cares?

A snorkel mean no long hose and change to entangle something attached to your mask - that's bad.

String:
Thats basically rubbish. Surface buoyancy is fine without a snorkel, breathing is fine, if you really arent confident, use your tank, at 1arm (sic) it'll last ages even on reserve.

If you're swallowing sea water you need to work on technique. Likewise a snorkel is totally ineffective and anything approaching rough seas. (sic)

Well, String,

I haven't the faintest idea why you so vehemently foam at the mouth when presented with the sight of a snork. Perhaps your mother was attacked by one when you were in the womb?

It is a piece of plastic pipe. It is simply a tool, nothing more. If you have a use for it, use it. If not, don't. Otherwise, there's really no need to get your knickers in such a twist about it.

Mayhap your technique is so good that you float above the chop in any sea. Somehow I doubt it, but it's impressive if so.

I would just note that military rescue swimmers find a use for a snork in rough seas. I guess you are just better than they are! :11:

Cheers, laddie, and happy snork-less diving and dreams! :eyebrow:

MASS-Diver:
2 or 3 miles in chop? What type of situation is this? If I'm lost of a boat, chances are I'm just going to chill for a while - this doesn't seem like a too realistic situation. But, I swim just fine on my back anyways, so who cares?

A snorkel mean no long hose and change to entangle something attached to your mask - that's bad.

Mass,

I think you missed the first part. We chilled for a long while. The boat eventually showed up, so we didn't have to do the swim. And, as a further note, I usually do long surface swims on my back, letting the wing float me cozily along! :wink:

Rob

BigJetDriver69:
Mass,

I think you missed the first part. We chilled for a long while. The boat eventually showed up, so we didn't have to do the swim. And, as a further note, I usually do long surface swims on my back, letting the wing float me cozily along! :wink:

Rob

I don't know...I think I've confused myself now...I'm opting out

I've been diving for 30 years, and understand that a snorkel is an important piece of saftey equipment. That being said, I also hate the way they swing against your head during diving, and the implicit drag they give you underwater. My solution: I use a detachable Scubapro snorkel, made with a special mask strap attachment. It folds in half and fits in my BC pocket. It's IMPORTANT to attach the snorkel to the pocket via a string, or cable, otherwise it will float away when you don't notice it.

I don't think they make this snorkel any more, and it's NOT the greatest, snorkel. It is not hyperdry, and just barely "dry" at all, but it serves my needs, and one can attach it at the surface if one needs to snorkel in an emergency, or during big swells.

Important note: PRACTICE doing this often during calm conditions!

BTW, cave divers were trained to remove their snorkels in the late 70's; they get in the way and are useless in a cave, was the thinking. I'm not sure if they still train this way.

diveparadise:
BTW, cave divers were trained to remove their snorkels in the late 70's; they get in the way and are useless in a cave, was the thinking. I'm not sure if they still train this way.

DP,

You are right, cavers do not have much use for snorks, but then, I can't think of anywhere that a snork would be useful to them.

I am like you. I carry one with me when I dive in open water. I put it in a pocket. If I need it, I have it available to use. I don't see the need, though, to have it banging around on the side of my head.

Cheers!

Rob

Does anyone else find it mildly amusing that this debate has gone on for days on end? I can't recall if I responded to this thread or not - I'm in the no snorkel camp, although I'm sure there may be times when I wish I had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom