Do you dive with or without your snorkel attached and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using a snorkel is a certainly a personal choice.

I always have a snorkel on my mask. Started dive in the 60's before BCs were in common use. I am comfortable diving with snorkel.

I believe the snorkel is important safety equipment because it is much easier to swim with your face down. Most of my diving is off Florida or in the Bahama on the edge of the Gulfstream. There is frequently a strong current on the edge. I have had to swim for very, very hard just to reach to buoy 25 feet in front of the boat though current running north at 1 to 2 knots. A snorkel comes in very handy, just to conserve air in the tank before the descent down the buoy line.

In addition off the Florida Keys where I live, we lose 2 to 3 diver per year because they are swept away in the current. I have heard "Mayday - Mayday" many times about lost divers. Most of the time the divers are found, sometimes 12 - 18 hours later, but many are never found.

Back in the mid 70's while diving with a friend (no one left in the boat), I came up about 200 to 300 feet down current from the boat in a strong current. It was in late November and about 4 pm, in 3-4 foot seas, I swam for about a hour and did not make hardy any head way to the boat. My dive buddy finally made it back to the boat and started up the boat and came and got me. My dive buddy threw away his tank & reg, weight belt and all other unnecessary gear, except his fins, mask and snorkel. He swam all out to make it to the boat. It is not a good feeling to contemplate spending the night swimming to shore when you are 5 to 6 miles off shore.

I would think a snorkel would very handy, if you ever have to swim any distance to get back to the boat or to swim to shore. The Snorkel could be a real life saver. Based on my earlier experience I would be quicker to abandon my Tank and then my BC and excess gear and swim to safety. The tank and BC definitely are a drag on your swimming capability.

Carrying a snorkel in your BC would be a alternative in situations like cave diving, wreck diving where it is obvious a snorkel is a potential problem..

Be careful, dive safe!!

My Spiegel Grove Videos and Photos

gpatton:
I would think a snorkel would very handy, if you ever have to swim any distance to get back to the boat or to swim to shore.
What would be the benefit over swimming face up on your back (assuming you didn't abandon your fins)?

MikeFerrara:
Unless it's real new there isn't any requirement for a student to always have a reg or snorkel in their mouth.

The standards state that the student must have a snorkel and there are several skills envolving the use of a snorkel. I don't remember anything beyond that.

Don't read in things in t aren't there.

My bad. I was told that by a few of the instructors I used to assist and never actually bothered to find out if it was true or not.

Rick Inman:
What would be the benefit over swimming face up on your back (assuming you didn't abandon your fins)?

Swimming face down is my preference. I think there are several advantages to a face down swimming attitude with a snorkel.... Seeing what is in front of you and your immediate surrounding is just one.

I spearfished for many years in the 70's. I can still swim many miles in a face down position. It is an efficient swimming method for me.

If you feel comfortable on your back, that is just fine. I have seen some swimmers do the back stroke and I am amazed at their speed.

It is a personal choice.

see a lot of divers without their snorkels, new divers tend to have them attached, and was wondering if the more experienced divers were not using them becsuse they didn't want to look like a newbie, or just don't see the need for them. How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling[/QUOTE]

(1) It doesn't cost anything to wear it, (2) it's not uncomfortable, (3) you might need it and (4) That's the way I've always done it. :)

I have yet to be in a situation where I felt that a snorkel was of any value. Underwater, they get in the way, flop against your face, and are absolutely useless. When diving a long hose (as I do now), they impede the deployment of your long hose for air sharing.

On the surface, I've found snorkels to be more touble than they are worth. If you want to swim face-down and, well, snorkel, then you'll need one, of course. The solution is to swim on your back, which I find more relaxing after a long dive. In heavy seas, I keep my mask on and time my breaths with the waves. Here, unless you have a truly "dry" snorkel (a bit of a mythical beast), using a snorkel makes breathing less efficient as the snorkel must be cleared after every wave.

In a rescue situation, a snorkel can be used for artificial respiration, but a pocket mask is a much better choice.

I dive with a spare mask, folding snorkel, and pocket mask stowed in one of my BC pockets. Fortunately, I've never had reason to use any of them.

That said, it's really a personal choice. I always carry a folding snorkel for the outside chance that I'll discover why there are people who would NEVER dive without a snorkel. Plus, certain states require that divers carry a snorkel at all times. (Shore diving in Florida, IIRC.)

OlderDiver:
How anybody would not wear one doing a drift dive is puzzling
I have done plenty of drift dives without a snorkel. Why would you need one? For one thing the dive is underwater, unless you have a pretty long snorkel you would be breathing water.

OlderDiver:
(1) It doesn't cost anything to wear it,
True
OlderDiver:
(2) it's not uncomfortable,
I find it is and it interferes with passing off the long hose and also kelp grabs it and twist your mask off your face or breaks the seal. I had a piece of kelp catch my mask one day and pull it then it let go and snapped back on my face and cracked me right on the nose.
OlderDiver:
(3)you might need it and
For what? No one can seem to come up with a valid reason.
OlderDiver:
(4) That's the way I've always done it.
Good answer. Why dont people just say that instead of trying to find reasons why they wear one?

Or what about the other reason- It comforts you to know its there? Is that a good reason for some of you?

Azza:
I have done plenty of drift dives without a snorkel. Why would you need one? For one thing the dive is underwater, unless you have a pretty long snorkel you would be breathing water.

True

I find it is and it interferes with passing off the long hose and also kelp grabs it and twist your mask off your face or breaks the seal. I had a piece of kelp catch my mask one day and pull it then it let go and snapped back on my face and cracked me right on the nose.
For what? No one can seem to come up with a valid reason.
Good answer. Why dont people just say that instead of trying to find reasons why they wear one?

Or what about the other reason- It comforts you to know its there? Is that a good reason for some of you?

I wore it when I was 47, also; and still do at 68. Sir Winston might have been prepared to meet his Maker, as I am; however, I have a few things I'd like to finish here before I go. LIfe is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom