Do you dive with a compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I allways have a compass its a hose mounted scubapro.
Its mounted just before my console.
Most of the time I just use it to show me the way out and back in!
You know head out north come back south.
Rick L

I always dive with a compass, before stepping off the boat I align myself with shore then I go... My compass is a Suunto sk6 in a wrist mount. :tree: Bob

I always dive with a compass - as so many of the others have pointed out, its easy to get turned around or questioning yourself, even at very familiar sites! Conditions and vis can change quickly, and a couple "I think its this way" thoughts, and you could quickly end up in places you shouldn't be:ditz:

I try and use my compass on every dive, weather we are following a divemaster or just diving off a boat that is anchored. It never hurts to know where the boat is incase u get separated from the group or just with your dive buddy.
I have a console mounted compass..

If one learns to navigate underwater, it reduces the chances of having to make the embarassing "swim of shame" back to the boat. :tree: Bob

Attached to console. Actually use it since I'm just getting started and want to be sure I can use it.

Very familiar with using compass on land in unfamiliar territory, much different underwater since I can't (unconsciously) use position of sun and time of day to orientate.

And unlike other replies referring to high iron content, I have been accused often of having plain old rocks in my head so don't get benefit of animal instinct to assist navigation.

Originally posted by Bob
If one learns to navigate underwater, it reduces the chances of having to make the embarassing "swim of shame" back to the boat. :tree: Bob

And save you the cost of a case of beer if you, god forbid, end up on the WRONG boat... ;-0

Ok good folks,

How about posting some pictures of a Suunto compass with bungee straps? Did you have to pull the back plate off the compass to thread the bungee? Mine (SK-6) still has the stupid webbing strap and buckle that's not worth the cost of labour to manufacture in my opinion. Bungee cord sounds like a great idea for a computer strap as well.

My compass goes on every dive, and I take a shore bearing before going down (kelp is ridiculous to find your way through without a compass).

Ben

I have mine mounted on my console and so it goes on every dive. I don't always use it. I frequently do, though.

It works better than by buddy's sense of direction.

(He has A compass too but thinks his sense of direction can be trusted - even though I've proved him wrong a number of times . . . . isn't that what they teach ya in OW? TRUST YOUR COMPASS!!!)

Back
Top Bottom