Do you check tanks for pressure and contents before you leave the shop?

Do you check the pressure and contents before leaving the shop?

• I always check the pressure before leaving

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I trust the shop to fill and take their word for it

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I sometimes check

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • I check contents if it's a mix but not pressure

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I always check contents and pressure when diving a mix

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I always check contents and pressure when diving air or a mix

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Down the road as mixed gas becomes even more common I wouldn't be suprised to see conventions change. Currently though there are still many shops who don't pump nitrox, they don't teach it and they don't have an analyzer. It wasn't long ago that you couldn't hardly get nitrox anywhere and in most place you still can't get anything with a high FO2 like a decompression gas. No doubt the safest is for everyone to analyze their own gas PERIOD. It's hard to go wrong that way.

but until they do, I will follow them. I should not have to worry about my air tanks being anything else but air.

but there is an old saying that goes something like...

"In God We Trust. All others pay cash!"

We could re-write that as "A tank I filled and/or that has a contents sticker I trust. All others get analyzed."

:)

Still wondering if qualified divers are supposed to have giant "TriMix" wraps on their tanks....

:wink:

Over my dead body.

I've got O2 clean stickers on the cylinders. I put blending stickers on (or use duct tape) each time I get a fill.

I've ordered stickers to spell out my name. That's it.

Northeastwrecks wrote...
Over my dead body.

I've got O2 clean stickers on the cylinders. I put blending stickers on (or use duct tape) each time I get a fill.

I've ordered stickers to spell out my name. That's it.
Earlier you said you have the nitrox stickers (I assume you mean the wraps) on your singles. What if you decided to use one of them as a penetration stage on a mix dive? What do the standards require, and what would you do?

The LDS I use has a DNAX system and an OC compressor setup.

You can't NOT get OC air from them...

Even at that, there are separate whips on the panel for banked EAN40/O2 and the OC air banks. They are a holdover from the old days when they DID have non-OC air from their older air compressor (decomissioned when the DNAX was installed).

The next push is to convince them to install a booster pump, helium bank and an argon fill station. They don't want to as they don't see enough divers who want the 'high O2' deco and tri-mix fills to make it pay off yet. It's tough to get very deep off the New Jersy coast unless you go out a long way offshore.

I use my reg (bc whip) and my own analyzer to check mixes & my regs guage tells me the pressure on the fills as well before leaving the shop with the tank.

They put the fill info on a piece of tape on the tank when it's filled unless you have a 'mix card' attached to the valve (it's a roughly 1x3 inch dive slate type tag with ithe entries for mix info on it). They also enforce the nitrox signout logbook.

This helps explain why I drive over an hour each way to go to this particular LDS when I live about 6 blocks away from another one...

(I also DM for them part time on weekends)

metridium once bubbled...
Earlier you said you have the nitrox stickers (I assume you mean the wraps) on your singles. What if you decided to use one of them as a penetration stage on a mix dive? What do the standards require, and what would you do?

My singles are HP120's. No chance that they would ever be used as a stage bottle on any dive I'm plannin on in the near future.

If I were to start using them for mix, then I'd take the Nitrox wraps off.

My stages are all marked with Nitrox wraps and depth indicators. My O2 bottle will be marked for Oxygen as soon as I finish setting it up.

I just got back this weekend from a dive in San Diego thru Dive Connections 3 tank (two ships and kelp) and just about every tank on board had less than 2800 psi and some as low as 2500. I'm still new at scuba and I need all the air I can get but 2500 I felt a little cheated. The boat already had the tanks on board so what am I suppose to do? any suggestions so this doesn't happen again?

at that point.

What probably actually happened is that they filled 'em fast (and hot) and were at 3000 psi when they took 'em off the whips.... then they cool, and you get what you saw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom