Do you believe in purchasing stuff off the net?

Do you support internet buying?

• Yes

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • I will buy only used equipment

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divefan: i agree with you completely. i don't see why i should be a charitable buyer and "give my money away" to an LDS. isn't that what people mean when they say support your local LDS?

it comes down to paying MORE for the same stuff. it seems irrational to me.

"and where are you going to get your air fills and service when the LDS goes out of business?"

another LDS. does anyone REALLY believe that such a niche is going to go unfilled if one or two or ten LDS's go out of business?

they are businesses. they are in a competitive market. they better be able to survive in it.

how they do that, is up to them, not up to me.

isn't that the bottom line?

diver-sponsored welfare, anyone? of course, when i am $200 short of
the dry suit i want and the LDS gives it to me anyway, then i'll be
their devoted supporter for ever.

While I haven't yet purchased anything scuba related from the web, I wouldn't discount it. I try to support my LDS as they have been very good to me, but there are times when the LDS just can't meet the price or even come close. Mind you, I would only do this for items which don't require servicing.

David

We don't have too many dive shops around here so if they don't carry what I want then I have no problem with mail order. If they can provide a comparable price or at least within reason on desired item then by all means will purchase local.

This thread doesn't even seem to address purchasing "pre-owned" scuba equipment, whether purchased on-line or off-line (like from a local newspaper ad listing). This opens another whole world - scuba equipment warranties aren't generally transferrable beyond original purchaser, so no "warranty for non-on-line purchases only" there. Often such items can be seen as "never been wet", others are "experienced" to one degree or another. I have had abysmal service from some LDS I've dealt with and exemplary from others, but none have had a problem wanting to service my equipment for their fees.

"you must support your local dive shop"......"you must support your local dive shop"........yadda yadda yadda

------------
What about support you divers. I don't hear many LDS saying "we must support our divers, lets give them better prices"

I'll support them the second they stop slapping me in the face.

and enough with this "If you don't support your LDS you won't get air" Well i hate to say it but i don't think that will happen. There will Always be a place to get air close to dive location. Why? Becuase there is a market to support it.

Also.....Stop saying that if you buy online you don't get a Warranty. I can give you sites that are dealers and still sell for 100's less then my LDS. Hell i even called zeagle, dacor,....etc to check. (yes i know some brands don't give a warranty if bought online *scubapro*. If you don't buy their products and their sales go down the WILL allow online sales.

I'm sick of hearing dive shops saying "it costs to much to sell online". I've looked at companies who would design a page, load all your items, and host you for less then $10,000. i'm sure they can make that money back very quickly

Now with that said I will always give the LDS a shot at matching online prices. I bought my gear for $725 (Retail was around $1850) from a LDS in austin. Something tells me they still made money.

try getting air fills and instruction from liesurepro...sure it cost a little more, but you don't have to pay shipping and you should get the warranty...something you DON"T get with lp and most of the other "grey market" online shops. If you want to believe lp and the others when they lie to you and say it comes with a warranty, call the manufacturer and see what they say about it before you buy.

Please support your local online merchant, he has to eat, too. :D

Other than that, if you're lucky enough to have a really good shop nearby, don't feel bad about spending a few extra bucks there.
It should be OK to see if they'd like to match online prices. If they go wild on ya for mentioning the words "internet" or "online", look for a new shop.

liesurepro has their own warranty that is better then some of the manufacturers warranty. One year with anything you buy from them. And they are a dealer for some items they sell and will still give you their warranty in addition to the factory warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom