Do you actually see people diving with pony bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditto.

I max out my check-in luggage @ 50 lbs a piece.

If I had to, I could easily go lighter - plastic bp/w, move the pony regs to my carry-on, etc.

I already max out my check-in luggage @ 50 lbs each, a pony would be doable if I went beyond the 50 lbs general limits, but I don't really want to pay even more luggage fees than I already do, moreover, some remote locations have much more restrictive weight limitations than that!

You mean there are people who still don't dive with a pony, or another redundant source?

The redundant gas source for most folks around here is their buddy. I'm in that camp. Then we see quite a few rec twinsets, typically D6, D7 or D8.5. I don't know how many of the owners of those twins are able to shut down their isolation manifold, though.

I've seen a pony bottle exactly once. It was in the trunk of the guy's car and it was long out of hydro. Even had a yoke 1st. I've dived with a techie who chose to sling an Al80 even on a simple rec dive, probably for the training. On that occasion, the guy slinging the tank told me that if I were running low on gas, I was welcome to borrow his stage regulator. He had apparently had had a dive cut short not long ago due to his buddy being a bit of a Hoover.

Just an informal little survey after a recent chat with friends and observing other divers out at the quarry.
I do not see them very often at our local quarry. But, the majority of diving in that quarry is shallower than 35 feet. The remainder of the diving is ~62 ft., and I see a few of those divers with a pony. I don't carry one for those dives.

Off the coast, I am more likely to see divers with a pony, or a twinset - both of which qualify as redundant air sources.. If I am going deeper than 60 feet on a coastal charter, I carry a pony, usually a 30cf.

Here, the splash and dash crowd don't carry and have rarely seen one. The more experienced divers do tend to

I don't bother hauling one to destinations requiring air travel,I just take a reg and a sling, and rig up an AL80 at the destination. I've never been denied nor charged the extra cylinder

Never saw one while diving in Malaysia and Thailand, but that might just be because I need to get more dives under my belt:(

I don't see people diving with ponies (neither horses nor bottles). I dove with a someone who carried a pony during the 2015 scubaboard invasion. I recently bought a pony for myself (13). I don't think I've ever seen anyone else with a pony.

I do see those spare air things occasionally, but never a real pony.

I see lots of divers in full doubles, up in the cave country part of Florida. Some of those guys have stage bottles, but that's a whole different deal.

I dive almost entirely in warm water (Caymans) and sling a 13 cf pony for dives deeper than 50'. I don't recall ever seeing anyone else carrying a pony. As I'm a single diver and never really buddied up with anyone other than the group in general, I like having the redundancy. Less than 50' feet I'm good with a CESA if needed.

Sling a 19 for solo dives, or when my so called buddy is also wrapped up in his camera. It's easy to turn a buddy dive into a pair of solo dives when a camera, critters, and macro lens are involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom