Do you actually see people diving with pony bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always see one on dives I do on a single tank. I saw at least one on the last trip I took on the spree. Can’t remember seeing one in Hawaii or on the Fling, but I was sick on the Fling.

I used to on every dive with a single tank. Now I've switched to doubles and sidemount. I only wear a single for teaching OW, and I just don't bother as I'm never deeper than 60 feet. One of the reasons I wanted to switch to SM was to have redundancy. Hauling a pony bottle was a pain.

I see them on charters out of NC, but not too common. Like 1 or 2 every other charter. Most of the time they are visitors. I don't know of too many local divers who use a pony.

I dive a 19cu or 40cu pony on every dive... I only time I don't is a shallow lake dive... But, I'm big on having the tools to get out of a jam.. And I'm in Bonaire right now and I think I've seen one other pony and a few spare airs... I think this goes back to talks about "REAL" divers VS people that breath from a tank to look at fish....

Jim.....

I don't recall seeing one on the NorCal coast, Lake Tahoe and Lake Sonoma, except for the ones my buddy or I occasionally used, and he has moved to the other coast. Not saying they are not used, but I haven't seen it.

On the coast, most shore dives are fairly shallow, you may need a shovel to break 60', so I use the surface as my redundancy. I have not seen any other divers in Lake Sonoma at all. Lake Tahoe I have seen a lot of divers, mostly dive classes, but there are a lot of sites I haven't seen.

I use a pony a lot more than I used to, at my age I need an edge.

Bob

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Padi used to classify the Self Reliant Diver speciality as a distinctive speciality but has recently reclassified it as a core speciality. I expect more and more divers will carry pony bottles as more divers become self reliant.

Edit:
See latest Padi specialities.

Attachments

• SRD.jpg
    SRD.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Padi used to classify the Self Reliant Diver speciality as a distinctive speciality but has recently reclassified it as a core speciality. I expect more and more divers will carry pony bottles as more divers become self reliant.

Edit:
See latest Padi specialities.
That is correct. It is a new standard specialty. Unfortunately there is no student manual.

When I took the course a couple of months back, the CD who taught the course had a Padi "instruction manual". I think it's a matter of time before the students manual is available.

I carry a bright yellow 19 cf pony with me to tropical dive destinations all over the place, including Florida Keys, Cozumel, Belize, and Bonaire. I feel better having the redundancy because I like to explore swim thrus and wrecks and sometimes I'll leave the group and travel quite a distance to get there and I enjoy the peace of mind knowing I have the backup. I'm solo certified and of course the redundancy is necessary for solo diving for the times that I do it, which is mostly cold water diving in the NE Atlantic, where I typically do wrecks 100ft and shallower. Because I carry my own pony bottle I tend to notice when other divers have them and I only recall seeing one other diver with one on a boat in the tropics.

You mean there are people who still don't dive with a pony, or another redundant source?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom