Do we need instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have any facts to back this claim up or is this just your interpretation of things?

Personal discussions with a HQ of a large diving certification organization of which I had a registered training facility.

Do you have any facts to back this claim up or is this just your interpretation of things?
At one time, or another, I have had the head guy at PADI, SSI, YMCA and NAUI tell me essentially the same thing.

How does the government of Quebec implement their standards? Do they require divers to take their own training course or do they just test to see that their standards are met?

I am not aware of the specifics. This came about after a coroner's ruling in Quebec as a result of a diving fatality and several other diving deaths in the province. I believe it requires the diver to obtain a license from a sanctioned Instructor. I'm not aware of the criteria required, but understand that this was done as the province found that the minimum standards issued by training certification agencies were insufficient.

Personal discussions with a HQ of a large diving certification organization of which I had a registered training facility.

At one time, or another, I have had the head guy at PADI, SSI, YMCA and NAUI tell me essentially the same thing.

This pretty much destroys the whole "PADI is a big, evil money hungry monster that only churns out people to make a profit so you need to train with X agency because they are different" argument...

Not really. PADI lead the way in the depauperization of diving instruction, SSI started to fight it with a proposed eight dive course and an actual six dive course, but caved and joined the bandwagon, YMCA and NAUI both were ambivalent and in the end failed because they equivocated and never had the guts to fight it. If you where there and whatched what happened there is not doubt PADI should get the credit/blame for the current situation.

Not really. PADI lead the way in the depauperization of diving instruction, SSI started to fight it with a proposed eight dive course and an actual six dive course, but caved and joined the bandwagon, YMCA and NAUI both were ambivalent and in the end failed because they equivocated and never had the guts to fight it. If you where there and whatched what happened there is not doubt PADI should get the credit/blame for the current situation.

Based on what you just said, I'd argue that PADI is the only one of them with a spine. They made a decision and proudly implemented it. The others disagreed with that decision and resisted it. But, when resistance became inconvenient, bad for business, or whatever they caved in. If they honestly disagreed with it but went down that road anyways, they should have been hanging their heads in shame. I don't personally feel any of the rec agencies are better than any other, I think they are all just different. But, keeping in mind what you just pointed out, I'm not sure how I can have much respect for those other agencies at this point...

I agree with you, I just find it hard to respect the "spine" that shafted everyone and that continues to lie to the public.

Ok, so.... I'm in to this for the money?

Ok, so.... I'm in to this for the money?

PADI is in it for the money, I'm not sure what you are in it for, are you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom