Do NOT rent regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, I know dive shops all over the world that I think are very good operations and there are a few that I might trust their equipment, but I think in general you are risking your life with rental regulators and BCs.

If I don't have the money to invest $1000 - $1200 in a good regulator and BC then I just won't dive, period. Your regulator is single most important piece of dive safety equipment. If you think so little of your life to trust it to some rental gear then I don't think I need to be diving, period. The BC is the 2nd most important piece of equipment.

Bottomline is that scuba isn't for everyone. And, if you don't have the money to purchase safe equipment and have it serviced on a regular basis then diving probably isn't for you, just my opinion.

Quite the sales pitch for inexperienced noobs to buy new gear (at least $1000 worth, preferably more). You don't happen to have friends or family in the new gear sales business do you? Maybe even yourself?

So the only reg malfunction you have ever witnessed was personal gear, on a dive trip, yet you think people are risking their lives by renting gear? The OP and this goober can have their opinions, I'm wouldn't dream of trying to change something that is probably just an on-line facade; I just hope all the less experienced divers and web surfers can see through the BS of every absolute poster!

Anyone who thinks there is one gear answer that works for every diver, for any gear question, is someone who I don't think understands the concept of thinking! :shakehead:

OK, never rent regulators, how about, never buy the from a local retail dive equipment store.

N

If I don't have the money to invest $1000 - $1200 in a good regulator and BC then I just won't dive, period. Your regulator is single most important piece of dive safety equipment. If you think so little of your life to trust it to some rental gear then I don't think I need to be diving, period. The BC is the 2nd most important piece of equipment.

Bottomline is that scuba isn't for everyone. And, if you don't have the money to purchase safe equipment and have it serviced on a regular basis then diving probably isn't for you, just my opinion.

So I'd be taking my life into my hands by diving this Atomic M1 regulator and Scubapro Classic bc for $825? :rofl3:

Atomic Aquatics "M1" Regulator, Black

Scubapro Classic Sport BC

Yep, and if you can't afford to buy a Trek bicycle just like the one that Lance Armstrong would ride for the mountain stages of the Tour de France, you shouldn't bother riding a bicycle, either.

:D

I'm beginning to think the OP started this thread as a troll and is just sitting back watching the arguement..... :shakehead:

You're probably right...but at least his post facilitated some good diatribe for a few days! :popcorn:

(we need another good snorkel-no snorkel/MOF thread or a discussion on Spare- Air! :rofl3:)

Regulators and reg maintenance are the most expensive piece of this hobby. Many, many divers are vacation-only divers and renting is more financially practical for them. Easy though it may sound, reg care is also another commitment that some people are not ready for. Good point DA Aquamaster, rental regs at least get regular service!

Even as a divemaster I stalled buying a reg because I was broke (still am, haha) and I didnt mind average regs. If you go to a good dive op, which you should for many other reasons, the rentals are well maintained (and usually also have a spare on board just in case).

Yep, and if you can't afford to buy a Trek bicycle just like the one that Lance Armstrong would ride for the mountain stages of the Tour de France, you shouldn't bother riding a bicycle, either.

:D

Trek, how quaint, a department store bike, lol. N

..snip..

The above brings me to the point that I want to make and that is that the DAN statistics show that the most likely group of people to experience a diving accident are those who are beginning open water divers and who do one or fewer dive trips a year. They are those divers who have the minimal training and who have the least diving experience. As I read this thread, my thought was that they are seemingly the same group of people who are the most likely to rent their equipment and/or buy their equipment from some source like eBay.

..snip..

It's been a couple of years since I studied accident statistics in any detail but this seems to be a different conclusion from that that has been commented here on SB in past threads on the subject.

I observed and various other posters also remarked that DAN and other agency statistics seem to show that once you get past the beginner stage, more experience does not necessarily translate to safer diving.

The general conclusion seems to be that more experienced divers either do more challenging dives or get overconfident and out of training.

Last time I looked death statistics rise with years of diving experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom