Do not listen to AVIS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an update, we haven't had any problems since those first two incidences. We've been doing some great diving, but ironically some of the best dives have been on our house reef, right in front of our condo.

We're still talking about going somewhere else for our next international trip but the reasons have shifted from petty theft to wanting a place with more macro, particularly nudibranchs. We are having a great time and continue to view Bonaire favorably as a great shore diving destination.
Are the house reefs that good? When I went to coz they had a house "reef" but it sucked. A house reef worth diving would be a real selling point!

Are the house reefs that good? When I went to coz they had a house "reef" but it sucked. A house reef worth diving would be a real selling point!

Yes, they are that good. At least by Caribbean standards anyway. We've stayed at many properties on Bonaire over the years and most have had great house reefs. (The others were just "good".) Along with the typical vast array of Bonairean reef fishes we've also observed turtles, seahorses, frogfish, octopuses, tarpon, sting rays, eagle rays, and even a rare manta ray on the house reef one year.

This video is a few years old now but underwater things are pretty much still the same.

After 11 years of diving & seeing some dive resort's house reefs, they are mostly great place to dive. That's one of many reasons why the resorts are built there.

I remember the last trip, 2 months ago to Raja4 Divers in Pulau Pef, Raja Ampat, Indonesia, where you can see walking shark right below the restaurant during a dinner time. I went a night diving there and took this video of it: Dropbox - hG0030006e.mp4

Also a giant clam: Dropbox - iM0032371.JPG

5 juvenile black tip sharks right underneath my feet while having breakfast in the restaurant: Dropbox - zkIMG_1387.JPG

The view of the house reef from the top of the hill behind the reef: Dropbox - zrIMG_1442.JPG

Last edited:

House reefs are just a dive site like any other on Bonaire, the only difference is a resort got built on the beach so the dive site becomes a 'house reef', that's why they are still all accessible to dive whether you are staying there or not, house reefs are just another dive site like the rest. For instance Bari Reef is considered the #1 most bio diverse dive site in the Caribbean, it's also Sand Dollar's house reef now, but it was a great dive site first.

Last edited:
House reefs were just a dive site like any other on Bonaire, the only difference is a resort got built on the beach so the dive site becomes a 'house reef', that's why they are still all accessible to dive whether you are staying there or not, house reefs are just another dive site like the rest.
I guess I was thinking was that if a hotel has security and a great reef, maybe the whole security issue is avoidable.

DiveMaven,

See nudiworld at Blue Heron Bridge, Palm Beach County, Florida. New species are found regularly there! Many shooters specialize in nudis--see Tim Krutz pics on Facebook as well as David Sanchez and Blue Heron Bridge Photography. See also Blue Heron Bridge Dive Club on FB.

On Bonaire, see Ellen Muller's pics on FB. Try looking up along the rubble slope where you see some hydroids and algae for nudis.

Do you find nudis at home? It IS a long trip for you to FL, but might be worth it! For you, it might not cost more to go to Lemba or the Phillippines!

I saw this great video of Muck (macro) diving in Blue Heron Bridge by Jonathan Bird of Blue World:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom