Do not listen to AVIS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The authorities do care, but it is a small island with a sparse population and tough to catch.
I would have guessed those things would make the crimes easier to solve.

I'll probably end up going in the next few years.. the diving just looks too good to miss. Sure wish they'd do something before I wind up there, though.

kelemvor,

If we were going for the first time, we would likely rent a vehicle just so we could easily sitesee.... Been going for 30 years now and haven't rented a conveyance in maybe 15 years. We stay oceanside and dive out front as well as boat dive Klein Bonaire. Pick one of the oceanfront places with security and dive on!

We truck dive at home (Blue Heron Bridge) where sometimes vehicles are broken into!

Going to Bonaire for 2 weeks in August and looking forward to NOT driving!

kelemvor,

We stay oceanside and dive out front as well as boat dive Klein Bonaire.

Going to Bonaire for 2 weeks in August and looking forward to NOT driving!

That just seems to me to be missing the whole point and wild wonder of Bonaire.

Uncfnp, it was Red Beryl where the window was broken and Vista Blue where the t-shirt and mesh bag were stolen. Both are the far southern sites past White Slave. We won't be going down that far anymore, it's clearly too remote and the thieves are active.
Unfortunately I thought it might have been that area. We love those dives and visit those southern sites alot. We are one of the fortunates that have not been hit, yet. Like others we are very cautious and aware of the risk. For now we are willing to risk it for the dive freedom that Bonaire offers.

After being hit twice in 3 days, we've already begun conversations about going elsewhere in the future. We've been wanting to go to Fiji and the Philipines, but Bonaire's freedom and "bang for buck" has always lured us in...before.

If you go to as far as the Philippines, might as well swing by a bit south to Indonesia & check out Bali, Komodo, Raja Ampat, Bunaken, Lembeh, etc.

If you like Nasi Goreng, Rijsttafel or some other Indonesian cuisine in Bonaire, just taste the original one in Indonesia.

That just seems to me to be missing the whole point and wild wonder of Bonaire.

If you read my whole post, you will see that for around 15 years I did the whole truck diving thing--most of my favorite dives are off Klein so now I do boats to go there and the somewhat inaccessible northern sites.

If you drive up and down the coast shore diving, you will spend a lot of what might be time in the water scoping out dive sites and will have missed some of the best dives and time in the "wild wonder" of Bonaire--the underwater landscape! ymmv

And that's what's great about Bonaire. Freedom to dive however you prefer.

I've been shore diving all over the island for about 20 years to include as far south as Red Slave and as far north as Playa Benge....In that time I've never had a thing stolen from the rental vehicle following the well known rules of Bonaire shore diving...we routinely leave flip flops, t shirts and mesh gear bags in the vehicle....I am much more concerned about the security where we stay than I am flip flops being stolen from a pickup so I stay where there is live security at night.....

I've been shore diving all over the island for about 20 years to include as far south as Red Slave and as far north as Playa Benge....In that time I've never had a thing stolen from the rental vehicle following the well known rules of Bonaire shore diving...we routinely leave flip flops, t shirts and mesh gear bags in the vehicle....I am much more concerned about the security where we stay than I am flip flops being stolen from a pickup so I stay where there is live security at night.....

In areas where law enforcement has failed to do their jobs, private security is always an option if you can afford it. I'm sure if you could afford a private security guard for your vehicle it wouldn't get broken into either. Neither should be necessary in my opinion - if local law enforcement were doing their jobs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom