Do not listen to AVIS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the record I'm referring to the Belmar Apartments...its not like I hire my own security...its part of the package and its not a 4 star resort....the point is the major theft issues on Bonaire have involved home invasions not flip flops being stolen from pickup trucks...lets try and keep it in perspective...

For the record I'm referring to the Belmar Apartments...its not like I hire my own security...its part of the package and its not a 4 star resort....the point is the major theft issues on Bonaire have involved home invasions not flip flops being stolen from pickup trucks...lets try and keep it in perspective...

Is Butchie still the security guy? I believe he patrols all night.

The night security has been someone other than Butchie the last couple of trips....its a bummer.....Butchie always chatted us up as I walked by the patio in the evenings.....

I agree with scuba127 re staying at places with security. It's reassuring to drive into Buddy Dive, Plaza, Divi or Habitat at night and be waved in by the guard.

I was there in Captain Don's Habitat back in August 2006 & thinking of that it is due for another visit in 2018. Seems like Crime in Bonaire is getting worse. I won't be coming back. There are a lot better & safe places to dive.

Last edited:
I think this discussion is spinning out of control. The PO had his/her rental car window broken and a few trifles taken. Not a big deal. IMO, not a reason to avoid what is a very laid back, friendly island with very good Caribbean diving. Bonaire is certainly safer than Baton Rouge today.

Seems like Crime in Bonaire is getting worse. I won't be coming back.

It may be, that's usually the trend with such things, but I tend to think that it is still very very rare, particlarly if you are aware of it and adjust your behaviour accordingly.

I know some people hide their stuff in bushes and under rocks, etc. instead of in the truck, while in the water.

Last edited:
Wow, robbed not just once but twice on the same trip!!!!!! :banghead:

As an update, we haven't had any problems since those first two incidences. We've been doing some great diving, but ironically some of the best dives have been on our house reef, right in front of our condo.

We're still talking about going somewhere else for our next international trip but the reasons have shifted from petty theft to wanting a place with more macro, particularly nudibranchs. We are having a great time and continue to view Bonaire favorably as a great shore diving destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom