Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it? Self Reliant course, requires 100 dives, Rescue requires 60.
It doesn’t, it just requires Adventure Diver. I did Rescue after nine dives.

Divemaster requires 60.

And… Master Scuba Diver is the highest non-professional certification in the PADI system. [Pulls pin, drops grenade, runs away]

Let's be honest here...

I haven't even finished my open water certification and as soon as I do (in May...cause it's snow in the frozen north right now) I'll be certified with...
  • Nitrox (already finished the course because it's eLearning/Classroom only)
  • 3 dives away from Rescue Diver (completing all pre-req non-dive courses in Dec)
  • 20 dives away from Advanced Open Water (already completed 4 eLearning only specialities)
And I literally have no experience...literally. So after 24 dives (including OW cert) I will be a Rescue Diver and Advanced Open Water. And 24 dives in my local quarry is like 6 weekends (2 months). That should scare everyone :)

Don't get me wrong...I love all the eLearning...the Science of Diving course was fascinating as I look out my window at the snow.

I'll still be a moron at that point.
You are not a moron, you will have a strong knowledge base.
And I literally have no experience
True, you sound the type that will gain that experience after you pass OW.
:checkbox:

Cant issue the card until OW certified. But I've completed all the work. The LDS "in store" work and testing my own "air" was very interesting.

ps - I aint telling nobody I'm AOW or Rescue Diver after 24 dives. I'll still be a moron at that point.
You honestly can say that you are AOW and Rescue and maybe mention that you just got it and have 24 dives?

You honestly can say that you are AOW and Rescue and maybe mention that you just got it and have 24 dives?
A disclaimer will help mitigate (but not eliminate) the chance of this happening on the dive boat. :wink:

Cant issue the card until OW certified. But I've completed all the work. The LDS "in store" work and testing my own "air" was very interesting.

ps - I aint telling nobody I'm AOW or Rescue Diver after 24 dives. I'll still be a moron at that point.
That's a good attitude. Seriously.

Experience is the main requirement in diving. It's just like riding a bike or driving a car, most of the time it's so so easy. And then something happens where training isn't enough; you must react to that event without thinking; just automatically. That's experience, not training.

Diving is incredibly frustrating for "northerners" as it's so seasonal. Those short few months of the summer always have so many things competing for your time, be it family, friends, whatever.

The best strategy is to make sure you book up a full diary of diving for the summer early enough to get the diary filled up before the family/friends come and take your time. For big trips, a week away somewhere, this is normally done a year in advance. Weekends on boats can be booked from January onwards. (Incredibly as I type this, an email has just landed from one of my regular boats for next season's diving)

In the early days of your diving career you'll be tied to the dive shop. Try to get yourself a similar minded buddy so you can get some independence from them.

It does take some effort, especially when the family plunder your time. Worth it though!

Right. Jeez, now I'm sorry I was off the grid for 3 weeks. Seems discussed here has been about every common SB topic, even the MASTER thing.
C59B2804-46D6-49A1-94C1-ED1EC0278A5E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom