Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About ten years ago, I attended a "pro" night at an LDS, and one speaker made a really good point about this topic.

Once a diver has completed the range of standard courses (e.g., AOW plus a few specialties) and is looking to move to the next level, they have two paths to choose: the professional certifications or technical diving. The two don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.

I, for one, chose the technical path, and I've never felt any serious desire to get any professional certs.
Some of us haven't the time nor motivation to do "instructing". Life's short enough and one's diving career even shorter.

So much diving to do; so little money and time to do it.

I allways sign up with my full trimix and full cave certs. Most times they look strange that a diver with such a lot of experience comes diving. But it also means they don't have problems is you go a little bit deeper or have some deco. Never had problems they wanted me to buddy up with a beginner.
The few times I've dived recreationally, I cannot see the point in showing the technical qualifications for which they neither understand nor care about. Rescue Diver seems to work OK; maybe the Solo Diver which they ignore.

When expected to "buddy" with someone, it's about setting expectations. Tell the "sorting hat" and the buddy prospect that I'm the world's worst buddy so don't expect anything. Seems to work OK.

Did the three of you not do a buddy check ? Regardless, that is a very disappointing reaction from the DM. I am guessing that he was not Filipino.
I did a buddy check with my wife, not with the other buddy. He just said that everything was in order before we jumped. I know we should have. However, I might have asked him to inflate his BCD (as we read on this thread, some never do) but I would have been unable to know for sure that he was overweighted.

I did a buddy check with my wife, not with the other buddy. He just said that everything was in order before we jumped. I know we should have. However, I might have asked him to inflate his BCD (as we read on this thread, some never do) but I would have been unable to know for sure that he was overweighted.
You might have asked him if he had his lead in the BC and then asked how much. That should work,

You might have asked him if he had his lead in the BC and then asked how much. That should work,
I am not good enough to assess what is the right weight of lead needed by a buddy just before jumping. There are too many factors. With the same wetsuit, BCD (except the size), I need the same lead than my wife who is 15 cm shorter than me and 10 kg lighter. Without a pre-dive weight check, I can’t do it.

Best way to check your buddy is to ask him to check you. When I let them check me, I show them how my weights are distributed and how they are ditched. This creates an environment where they feel compelled to share the same. Of course if they inflate my wing to test, they will get a grumpy cat stare.

I am not good enough to assess what is the right weight of lead needed by a buddy just before jumping. There are too many factors. With the same wetsuit, BCD (except the size), I need the same lead than my wife who is 15 cm shorter than me and 10 kg lighter. Without a pre-dive weight check, I can’t do it.
No, you can ask, well before it is time to jump. If the individual says "I don't know", that is a good sign you might have to watch for a Lawn Dart. If they say double your weight and they are similar in size, you can at least open the discussion. If the person has 5-6 lbs too much, it probably won't be terrible, but I have seen people being way, way off. In general, with an aluminum tank, 3 mm suit and "normal" body, somewhere around 12 lbs is reasonable. You start seeing 20 or more, you may be smart to ask some more questions.

Some people really do require more lead than seems necessary, but in general, if that is true for the individual, they probably know that and will be able to comment to that effect. Women generally are less dense than men and carry fat better, so they often use a little more than you might expect if you never paid attention in the past.

If you approach it somewhat as being curious, and you act like you are unsure how much lead to use "for this first dive", they might be more forthcoming in what they use.

You probably want to avoid a situation, which devolves into" "hey fat bastard, just how much lead do you have there". As long as the person knows how much they have and seem to be able to talk about it in some reasonable manner, you have done more than your part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom