Do NOT do any business with EZ SCUBA in Tampa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hold on folks... My wife is a large breasted woman and needs ~25lbs in a skin, and ~34lbs in a 3mm suit... It could be an honest mistake.

BTW, I'm curious: What does the lift of a BC have to do with this?

No exposure suit... no weight needed there. The only weight that you would need to counteract would be the tank and possibly the BC material itself. Most fins are slightly negative. Since there was no suit I would presume there was no other neoprene worn, so if the BC lift capacity is 30lbs, it would have to be almost fully inflated to even keep her neutral underwater, especially at the beginning of the dive when the tank is full of air.

If she was wearing no neoprene, at depth she would be over weighted and even a full BC wouldn't float her up without kicking (with a full tank).

Did they inform said new diver to wear all 30 pounds at one time with just a dive skin, or did they sell her the max her BC could hold so she would be ready for "everything" the BC can handle?

Did they inform said new diver to wear all 30 pounds at one time with just a dive skin, or did they sell her the max her BC could hold so she would be ready for "everything" the BC can handle?

You obviously didn't read the thread. The actual diver that this happened to has posted, and also stated that the crew stuck them into her BC for her, all 30 lbs.

The incident happen to me and there was no misunderstanding. They sold me the weights to go with the BC I bought from them. It was clearly 30lbs. They even place the weights in the bc pockets themselves.
The Dive op or the LDS? Did they sell you the weights so you would have the MAX your BC could hold? it seems from other posters that this LDS sells new divers more than they need at times.

SNIP I am still trying to get my mind around their weight suggestion. I've seen people in 7 mils dive less weight... The weight thing can be debated, but the failed rental gear is pretty cut and dry... SNIP
Rental gear failures happen, this is why it is a good idea to put the reg set you rent on the tank you rent to check the gauges and the regs before leaving the shop, the reg issues could have been solved in the shop the day the gear was picked up . . . Maybe we should get a posse and go check all the rental fleets and flog anyone who has a failure. . .

You obviously didn't read the thread. The actual diver that this happened to has posted, and also stated that the crew stuck them into her BC for her, all 30 lbs.

I did read the thread my friend, no where does it say whom ever she was diving with "stuffed" weights into her pockets, it does say the LDS put the weights in the pockets of the BC purchased from them. A similar thing happens at the LDS I worked for we sell someone weights for their BC we put them into the BC in the shop to show them, usually new divers only, how to properly install weight pouches etc.

I am not blaming anyone here . . .

Were the dives checkout dives, that the shop was over seeing? did you rent gear from this LDS and go on a dive with a boat, or friends? When they sold you the weight did they ask what kind of diving you would be doing?

OK I am going back to the SI now . . .

Did the store you rented your faulty equipment from do anything to make it better? ie: next rental free? How did they resolve the failures you had?

its been so long ago i dont remember -- most were minor annoyances like a wetsuit zipper that constantly came open and a BC inflator hose that ripped off mid dive. thankfully i was ascending at that point in the dive and could use my rear dump. if i had needed to add air that would have sucked. so i never had to cancel a dive due to rental equipment.

in cozumel a boat i stepped on sank after 30 seconds, and yes, they gave me a free day of diving. :wink:

as for the 30 lb of weight, one more thought...if you think about all the variations of exposure protection, and the amount of weight needed with each, that 30 lb may be all she ever needs to dive with in a skin, 3mm, 5mm, 7mm, 12mm farmer john and drysuit.

in other words, we all at various times need various sizes of weights. i wear 6 OR 8 lb on a belt with my drysuit in doubles (depends on my undergarment) so right there that means in total i have 14lb of weight, 2x3 and 2x4...

i probably have over 30 lb of weight, so i can wear more with my singles rig, loan out to friends, etc.

I thinking they just sold her all the weight the ripcord weight pocket system could hold based on the specs Tracy posted:
Tracy:
34-lb capacity bladder (24-lb optional)
30-lb capacity Ripcord weight system
20-LB capacity Rear mount weight system

The BC will appears to be capable of actually carrying 50 lbs of weight :shocked2:

I've contacted Eric the owner of EZ and made him aware of this thread.

ANYONE can make a mistake and rent faulty equipment they THOUGHT would perform. What makes one shop better than another is WHAT THEY DO AFTER THE MISTAKE HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO THEIR ATTENTION. In this case, in my opinon, they could have done FAR more than they have.
You have to admit from their name they are marketing to newer divers (EZScuba) they should do a little more hand holding than this.
Thanks for your Reply Orange Diver. - Safe Diving!

Was the overweighting issue fixed before she got in the water? Or did she get in the water with all 30lbs? I don't know the situation or the conversation that occured between the LDS and the person renting, so I won't comment on that other than to say, you would think they would try to make it better. My guess would be that there wasn't enough information passed about what happened with the 2nd stage. The LDS probably just thought it was the usual surface free flow and the diver didn't know how to stop it. Of course this is all speculation, but perhaps a phone call to EZ would clear things up.

ANYONE can make a mistake and rent faulty equipment they THOUGHT would perform. What makes one shop better than another is WHAT THEY DO AFTER THE MISTAKE HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO THEIR ATTENTION. In this case, in my opinon, they could have done FAR more than they have.
You have to admit from their name they are marketing to newer divers (EZScuba) they should do a little more hand holding than this.
Thanks for your Reply Orange Diver. - Safe Diving!

I agree, they should have done more, especially since free flow should have been reproducible in the store.
Regarding the name of the shop, I think it's because the owner's name is "Eric Z" :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom