Do mask lights bother you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a small (4 AAA) Princeton Tec Attitude led light that I use as a mask light for night/cave dives. I can position it straightforward, which I suppose could bother fellow divers when I turn to look at them, but I can also angle it downwards, which I think should eliminate the problem but still provide sufficient light for reading gauges, writing/reading notes and such. What's been your experience?

Below are pics I took using the mirror. They are out of focus because I had to leave the flash off so it wouldn't reflect off the mirror and wash out the pics:

mask_light1.jpg

mask_light2.jpg

So would you mind diving with me if I wore the light angled down as in the bottom pic?

So would you mind diving with me if I wore the light angled down as in the bottom pic?
I'd let you try it out at least, doesn't look too bad.

You would have to do something about that hair.

It would probably bug the hell out of me.

Is this your only light? If not, I don't see what problem it solves. Keeping it forward would drive me nuts, down might be ok. Still don't see what it solves, though, if you already have another light (I don't think you'd just have this tiny little thing).

Is this your only light? If not, I don't see what problem it solves. Keeping it forward would drive me nuts, down might be ok. Still don't see what it solves, though, if you already have another light (I don't think you'd just have this tiny little thing).

No. I have a 21W HID primary and 2 backups. The mask light is more of a convenience than a necessity.

If you turn it down, there is no light on what you are looking. If up, it will bother other divers. So I do not see the interest of the thing.

I understand your interest, I think...
I wear my computer on my right forearm and that's the hand in which I usually hold my main light. Now then, when I want to check my computer, do I shift my light to my left hand so I can adequately read the face? To do that requires some contortions since my tether from the light grip to wrist is pretty short. A small, relatively dim and thus short-range light pointed downward might be the answer.
However, I have used something a bit different on night dives. I mount a small led on my harness about chest level with the beam pointed down (toward my feet). When I want to check my gauges or computer, I simply maneuver them into the glow of the light. It also provides another "marker" light so that buddies can see me a bit easer without producing a glaring stray beam that can ruin someone's night vision. I don't have the worry of hitting someone in the eyes when I glance their way, and my dive partners say they don't even notice it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom