Do mask lights bother you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you turn it down, there is no light on what you are looking. If up, it will bother other divers. So I do not see the interest of the thing.

It's enough for reading gauges, writing notes and such when angled down, which is its intended purpose. I have a bigger primary light for signaling and looking at things further away. It's just that if I do something that requires both hands then I may need to drape the primary or clip it off and consequently not have enough light or not have it where I want it.

Yes, when I look at a dive buddy I want to see their eyes to see if we are communicating. My preference would be to not have any glare coming from around the mask area. Just my two psi.

John

Yes, when I look at a dive buddy I want to see their eyes to see if we are communicating. My preference would be to not have any glare coming from around the mask area. Just my two psi.

John

nah- you just need a bigger light to cut through the glare from their light :D

You would have to do something about that hair.

Jeff.... You are an evil man.... ..:lotsalove:

:rofl3:

I have a small (4 AAA) Princeton Tec Attitude led light that I use as a mask light for night/cave dives. I can position it straightforward, which I suppose could bother fellow divers when I turn to look at them, but I can also angle it downwards, which I think should eliminate the problem but still provide sufficient light for reading gauges, writing/reading notes and such. What's been your experience?

Below are pics I took using the mirror. They are out of focus because I had to leave the flash off so it wouldn't reflect off the mirror and wash out the pics:

So would you mind diving with me if I wore the light angled down as in the bottom pic?

As I recall, Floater and I are UK Mini Q40 head light lovers. As you see, the head light beam even in the strait pointing direction isn't strong enough to bother the buddies. Most divers are just pointing out instead of an actual expereince with the small tiny low bean head light.

Yes, it is a conveninet factor. I have used a head light a lot for a data gathering job in UW.

In addition, you can just block the light with one hand when you have to face with your buddies.

I have a buddy with a light like that and it drives me crazy. On a night dive every time he turns his head I see a light flashing around and I'm trying to figure out if he is signaling. It's very distracting even if it isn't shining in your face in my opinion.

Use a light that's appropriate for the dive you're doing. You simply do not need one of these mega-blasters on a night dive in the Carribbean. A 4xC-cell light is fine for Cozumel. Any more than that just scares everything off.

I have a mask strap light that works just fine. Used it plenty of times.

-Charles

The problem I have with the light on the mask is when you look at your buddy to tell/show him something and it is on, you will blind him. I have had this happen to me and I promptly turned my buddies light off.

However if you were taking pictures this could be very handy or if you were working on something that needed both hands, go for it.

Just don't blind the buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom