Do it yourself super float.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchaplain

Contributor
Reaction score
Just thought I'd look for comments on a do-it-yourself project I did today ( since it wasn't a diving day here in Boston today.)

I used an old white boat fender, and some 1/2" pvc pipe for the 'frame'.
I painted the fender red leaving the white stripe by masking off with tape.

The pvc pipe attached to the bottom neatly contains lead weights.

Attached to the pvc 'frame' with a plastic tie is an otter box containing a submersible handheld vhf radio for emergency use.

What else do you do on a day you can't dive? Make diving gear!

Now I should also post pictures of the dive spears I made today.

John C.

Picture of scuba float

Nice job. How long befor some boater looks in the box and takes the radio? Great feature, and will consider doing the same for remode shore dives.

Great float! Looks better than retail.

mike_s:
Nice float you made.

What's the number N4873 refer to?

Thanks,

Thats my Massachusetts lobster license number. It has to be displayed on your tanks and on a dive flag.

John C.

2Dive4fun:
Nice job. How long befor some boater looks in the box and takes the radio? Great feature, and will consider doing the same for remode shore dives.

I'm not worried about anyone stealing the radio while I'm under. I would be more worried about them boating close enough to my flag.

My handheld is an older unit ( 2 or 3 years old,) and the newer ones are half the size and cheaper....could be in a smaller box and also could be very nice to have at hand in case of emergency offshore.

John C.

jchaplain:
Thanks,

Thats my Massachusetts lobster license number. It has to be displayed on your tanks and on a dive flag.

John C.

Wow... I never heard of having to do that.
Does the number change every year meaning you have to "re stencil" it on your tanks and dive flag?

Nice job. Now I know what to do with my nasty old fenders i have lying around.

mike_s:
Wow... I never heard of having to do that.
Does the number change every year meaning you have to "re stencil" it on your tanks and dive flag?

No, you keep the same numbers every year so thats not a problem. You also are required to have the numbers displayed on your tanks as well.

Only got one today...bummer...lots of short lobsters out there. ( Salem Harbor Massachusetts.) I'm trying for more tomorrow though!
Beats hanging around the house!

John C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom