Do it your self Rebreathers???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are playing with your life for a few bucks. There have been several deaths attributed to do-it-yourself rebreathers.

ID

Ark! There are easier and less expensive (not to mention more entertaining) ways to end your life. Now would you like to hear how I really feel about it? :wink:

Mr. Bubbles:
I can only whole-heartedly agree with ID and Mario. Do-it-yourself rebreathers are a death-trap. Ask at a shop or on this board about semi-closed and closed circuit rebreathers, whichever you are interested in. You can also read the book "A Simple Guide to Rebreather Diving" by Steve Barsky, Mike Ward and Mark Thurlow. You can buy from Best Publishing
Stay Safe,

RonC.

...would I touch any kind of home-made scuba life-support gear, even open-cicuit, let alone rebreathers. Although the link has some informative stuff on rebreathers in general, the DIY part is playing with fire. A different matter when you're talking about accessory items, such as home made lights, etc, but no way would I mess with something my life depends on, leave that to the experts.

I found few interesting things in that page. I'm also working on SC RB like RB80 but no depth compensation. If anyone has plans or somethink like it please mail me.

I've built a couple - details can be found here . The pendulum O2 only unit is a useful decompression tool. The mixed gas CCR is a bit of a death trap.

Duncan

So let me guess, most of the negetive responses come from people that do not dive a rebreather? People usually don't start home built rebreathers until they can do so somewhat safely, it's part of the learning proccess. The material available on the net makes it safer still to exchange information and ideas. By most estimates the larger percentage of rebreathers in the water are home built.

Doubt it, there are 5000 Inspirations and about 7000 Dolphins/rays out there 1000 or so Azimuths, 100 RB80's, a couple of hundred Mk 15/16s, 20-30,000 military O2 units, plus all the scientific ones etc etc etc

Probably no more than 1000 people on home builds. Certainly they arent on the rebreather forums

Here in the UK you see rebreathers now on virtually every dive. Havn't seen a home brew since early last year

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom