Question Carleton COBRA-3 rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1000007036.jpg
1000007037.jpg
1000007038.jpg
1000007039.jpg
1000007040.jpg

Alright had a pretty lengthy conversation with @SkullCaptain this afternoon and we got everything sorted out.

The converted Draeger Dolphin we all know.

The Carleton Cobra is a Biopak60. Very similar to a Seapak 25. It seems there was someone in SoCal that was converting these as I have an almost identical one. The main Difference I found between the 2 cases is. The Cobra is set to take a cylinder with a CGA540 valve vs the SeaPak takes a Yoke style Valve. and the case for the Cobra comes with slots to weave the webbing through the rig instead of requiring a backplate.

And the Grey Mystery Box. This one took a couple friends but the answer is. A BMR500 (A converted Biopak240)
The story behind those rigs is as follows, Dick King had an interesting idea with that rig, but he couldn’t build them fast enough. Then BioMarine (the mine rescue appliance company owned by Neutronics) sent him a cease and desist letter for converting their machines for underwater use. And that was the end of the story.

As for the Laguna Electronics on the Draeger and the BMR500. They are in an unknown state of working or not but we are evaluating them.

The got a real fishy (no pun intended) story from the guy I got them from. As the story goes, he took the dolphin diving at some point and the electronics were working correctly. The homebuilt MK## supposedly works but has a malfunctioning O2 sensor light that flashes when it shouldn't and the shop recommended installing a new solenoid.

Unfortunately, none of them included any tanks with the exception of a really tiny (2L?) bottle and an AL19 without a valve.

The modified dolphin is in surprisingly good shape. The lungs, breathing loop, and scrubber canister look like new. The case was modified with side mounts labeled DIL and O2 and Laguna Research eCCR electronics were installed and complete. Unfortunately I have no idea how to test them. I'm going to use this unit as my primary project build since it is basically complete minus some cylinders.

As for the other two units with the circular scrubbers, I would be happy to offload them to someone who can get some use out of them. I love restoration/rebuild projects but would need expert guidance on these ones. Alternatively, I'll part them out.

@lostsheep lets get together and see what comes of it. I'm not a rebreather expert, but love rebuild projects. I'm in Menlo Park and would happily make the drive.

@Jona Silverstein let me know what you are interested in. I'd happily part with the gray ones or part them out.

I'll try to get some more detailed pictures of everything now that it is a bit more sorted out.

I'd love to check them out, hit me up and come on down to my shop. No promises of anything but having a machine shop at my disposal definitely gives me a leg up on replacing un-replaceable parts :wink:

Alright had a pretty lengthy conversation with @SkullCaptain this afternoon and we got everything sorted out.

The converted Draeger Dolphin we all know.

The Carleton Cobra is a Biopak60. Very similar to a Seapak 25. It seems there was someone in SoCal that was converting these as I have an almost identical one. The main Difference I found between the 2 cases is. The Cobra is set to take a cylinder with a CGA540 valve vs the SeaPak takes a Yoke style Valve. and the case for the Cobra comes with slots to weave the webbing through the rig instead of requiring a backplate.

And the Grey Mystery Box. This one took a couple friends but the answer is. A BMR500 (A converted Biopak240)
The story behind those rigs is as follows, Dick King had an interesting idea with that rig, but he couldn’t build them fast enough. Then BioMarine (the mine rescue appliance company owned by Neutronics) sent him a cease and desist letter for converting their machines for underwater use. And that was the end of the story.

As for the Laguna Electronics on the Draeger and the BMR500. They are in an unknown state of working or not but we are evaluating them.
Huge shout out to @Jona Silverstein for querying his network of rebreather experts to solve the puzzle in a few short phone calls! Who would have known that we could track down who specifically made the custom unit.

Now I have some electronics to test and some bottles to hydro.

If anyone is interested in the Carleton Cobra-3, BMS conversion, or spare parts I'm happy to let them go cheap or for trade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom