Do I really need training for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a lot more to diving doubles successfully (and happily) than just strapping them on. However, most of what you require can be accomplished with a really good buddy/mentor who actually knows what they are doing.

The problem with "40 years ago..." is that it worked, but also gave us slob knobs and people almost taking the rig off underwater to reach the valves.

If you can't find a good buddy/mentor, then perhaps some intro instruction. They need to be able to cover all aspects of rigging the harness, balancing the rig, weighting and trim, regulator routing and locations, and (of course) valve drills.

Here's a quickie tip from my own experience in finding a knowledgeable instructor / mentor: ask them: ask them what to do if you find you are going "head down" in the water and can't seem to trim out horizontal. There are at least two gear tips that can solve this, but if they reply "you just have to get good diving" then find someone else.

You mean ankle weights and/or weighted insoles?

If you have a GUE instructor near you , just contact them to arrange a doubles primer.

That's what I did.

I felt the course was worthwhile. If nothing else, it was a really good Fundies refresher. A goal seemed to be to leave the course being able to do everything we did in Fundies in singles configuration but now in doubles. So that includes pre-dive checks, S-drills, etc. It covered how to select a set of doubles to meet one's needs, how to assemble a manifold, etc. And of course the mechanics of achieving good trim. I'm sure one can learn all of this from a mentor, but taking a course ensures nothing is omitted.

I was thinking of things like adding a tail weight or moving the bands up on the tanks. Small changes in the equipment can make significant changes in trim.

I've heard adding a neoprene mask strap helps too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom