Do I really need training for doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent a day in the pool, where the incredibly patient instructor tried really hard to get me to reach the left valve, which didn't work. Then we went diving off Catalina the next day in doubles. I failed the course due to total inability to do a valve dril in the water, but a year plus later I can sometimes do a decent one and can pretty much always get it done eventually.

I spent a day in the pool, where the incredibly patient instructor tried really hard to get me to reach the left valve, which didn't work. Then we went diving off Catalina the next day in doubles. I failed the course due to total inability to do a valve dril in the water, but a year plus later I can sometimes do a decent one and can pretty much always get it done eventually.

Kevin, out of curiosity, why couldn't you reach the valve? Which alternative techniques (if any) did your instructor try with you?

R..

If anyone wants to do a GUE doubles primer in South FL, I'm looking for a teammate.

Something you dont get without a little training is rig setup. I had my doubles all set on my wing as I thought it should be. My instructor with a patient smile ripped all my rig apart and re-rigged it. A bit soul destroying but now after using it for some years I now appreciate all the little things I missed. So valve drills are one thing, but correctly rigged up is another which is a must. You cant really get that from anything other than a day with an experienced diver or instructor.

For rec diving, I dive a single tank with a BP/W. For cave (and occasionally solo rec) diving, I dive sidemount.

LP50s make great sidemount tanks. No need to strap them together and put them on your back unless you are just wanting to learn doubles to add to your repertoire.

For what it is worth based on the OP. I would say no. Only because the plan was double 50's. double 50's doesn't allow any more abilities than a single 100. The valve stuff is really a no brainer issue, and that small doubles don't put you in a deco situation where a valve problem would force you to significantly cut your deco if you could incur it. Now if you are gong to use trimix (unlikely) in them and do deeper dives, again unlikely, then perhaps. Or you are using small doubles for learning the mechanics to prepare you for larger doubles for those dives that need doubles then watch a video and skip the training.

Kevin, out of curiosity, why couldn't you reach the valve? Which alternative techniques (if any) did your instructor try with you?
Skiing accident where I put the humerus through the scapula 15+ years ago. We tried all sorts of stuff, can't really remember at this point. I could just barely touch the valves with the most successful one.

What has worked was working at it patiently to stretch and push stuff. Still hard with a thicker midlayer, but I couldn't reach it in just a thin wetsuit back then.

@The Laconic , there are plenty of local divers who dive doubles. You may consider hooking up and starting out at Haigh Quarry. It's a good place to learn as you can walk/crawl out the road if needed. A lot of tech divers go to DRIS and a lot of their people are Tech divers.

You're in luck...I have an extra set of LP50's and regs setup in a GUE configured rig. I also know a little something about GUE's drills that I wouldn't mind walking you through and demonstrating if doubles is something your really interested in.

Oh, and don't worry...I won't pawn off anymore UTD videos on you :wink:

There is a lot more to diving doubles successfully (and happily) than just strapping them on. However, most of what you require can be accomplished with a really good buddy/mentor who actually knows what they are doing.

The problem with "40 years ago..." is that it worked, but also gave us slob knobs and people almost taking the rig off underwater to reach the valves.

If you can't find a good buddy/mentor, then perhaps some intro instruction. They need to be able to cover all aspects of rigging the harness, balancing the rig, weighting and trim, regulator routing and locations, and (of course) valve drills.

Here's a quickie tip from my own experience in finding a knowledgeable instructor / mentor: ask them: ask them what to do if you find you are going "head down" in the water and can't seem to trim out horizontal. There are at least two gear tips that can solve this, but if they reply "you just have to get good diving" then find someone else.

Back
Top Bottom